Four militants arrested in AssamJuly 24th, 2010 - 2:47 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, July 24 (IANS) Four militants of the outlawed Kamatapur Liberation Organisation (KLO) were arrested from a safe house Saturday in Assam’s main city of Guwahati in a joint raid by police and paramilitary troopers.
A police spokesperson said the four KLO rebels were arrested from a rented accommodation in the heart of Guwahati.
“Based on specific inputs that some KLO militants were hiding in a city base, we raided the house and captured four of them,” a senior police official said.
The rebels were in the city for the past 45 days and were planning strategies to stage violent strikes in Guwahati, police said.
“They were on a definite mission to plan some attacks in Guwahati. We are investigating if they were in touch with other militant groups for a joint operation in the city,” the police official said.
The KLO had definite links with the outlawed National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB) and the two had together launched several attacks in areas bordering West Bengal in the past.
The KLO is a rebel group fighting to carve out a separate Kamtapur state comprising six districts of Cooch Behar, Darjeeling, Jalpaiguri, North and South Dinajpur and Malda in West Bengal and four contiguous districts of Kokrajhar, Bongaigaon, Dhubri and Goalpara in Assam.
- ULFA and KLO rebels arrested in Meghalaya - Jan 05, 2012
- West Bengal rehabilitates surrendered Kamtapur rebels - Apr 20, 2010
- Army man killed, six injured in Assam blast (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Blast kills army man in Assam, ULFA claims hand (Second Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Bengal recommends release of 52 political prisoners - Jul 20, 2011
- Will not allow any anti-India groups: Bhutan PM - Jan 22, 2012
- Uneasy calm in Assam, violence toll 40 - Jul 26, 2012
- Bodo separatists planning terror strikes in Assam: police - Sep 20, 2010
- Assam violence: Army stages flag march, Chirang district tense (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Assam violence: Tension continues, army stages flag march - Jul 25, 2012
- Tension in Assam, PM may visit Saturday, toll 41 (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- Assam toll now 19, shoot at sight orders in Kokrajhar (Third Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Fresh violence rocks Chirang, five killed - Aug 25, 2012
- Assam toll now 19, shoot at sight orders in Kokrajhar (Second Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- ULFA bomber held in Assam, security alert in northeast - Jan 25, 2010
Tags: assam, cooch behar, darjeeling, dinajpur, goalpara, guwahati, jalpaiguri, liberation organisation, malda, militant groups, national democratic front, planning strategies, police official, police spokesperson, rebel group, rented accommodation, safe house, several attacks, violent strikes, west bengal