Four Maoists killed in AssamMay 9th, 2012 - 3:43 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, May 9 (IANS) Four suspected Maoist guerrillas were killed in a shootout with security forces in Assam’s Tinsukia district Wednesday, police said.
Three others escaped in the incident that took place in Borbaruah village, about 600 km from here, said Tinsukia Superintendent of Police P.P. Singh. Those killed have not been identified.
“We suspect one of the slain cadres to be a regional commander. But we can confirm this only after identification by family members,” he said.
An Assam police constable was also injured in the shootout.
A hunt was on to trace the other cadres.
A police operation began early Wednesday following a tip that that some Maoists had taken shelter in the village.
Police said three AK 47s, two grenades and some ammunition were recovered from the site.
The operation was a major success, said a senior official at the police headquarters here. Tinsukia, he said, was one of the seven districts where the Maoists had expanded their activities.
There have been several reports of extortion drives by the Maoists in Tinsukia, he added.
The Assam government has initiated training programmes for deputy commissioners and superintendents of police and other officials on how to counter the Maoists.
- ULFA militants killed in Assam - Aug 06, 2012
- ULFA faction lends moral support to Maoists - May 10, 2012
- Three Bodo militants killed in Assam - Jul 13, 2012
- Top Karbi militant, cadres killed in Assam - Apr 20, 2012
- High security in Assam after ULFA messages intercepted - Sep 10, 2012
- ULFA attempt to disrupt Manmohan's visit foiled - Apr 18, 2012
- Forces kill four militants in pre-dawn Assam raid - Jun 23, 2012
- Security forces to launch operation against Karbi rebels soon - Apr 27, 2012
- Ulfa cadre killed in Assam - Apr 08, 2012
- Kishenji's laptop recovered in search - Mar 20, 2012
- Assam ups security after ULFA's R-Day boycott call - Jan 23, 2012
- Assam ties up with Arunachal to counter Maoist menace - May 10, 2012
- Three injured in Assam grenade blast - Sep 11, 2012
- Meghalaya rebel group's chief killed in gunfight - Dec 02, 2010
- Assam police launch operation against Maoists - Jan 28, 2012
Tags: ammunition, assam government, assam police, cadres, deputy commissioners, extortion, family members, grenades, guerrillas, guwahati, maoist, maoists, police constable, police headquarters, police operation, regional commander, security forces, superintendent, suspect one, tinsukia