Four Maoist cadres held in West BengalSeptember 21st, 2010 - 11:08 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Sep 21 (IANS) Four Maoist activists were arrested Tuesday in West Bengal’s Burdwan district, police said.
They were arrested by policemen from Bankura district. Superintendent of Police Pranav Kumar said: “Four Left rebels including three squad members and one People’s Committee Against Police Atrocities (PCAPA) member were arrested from Kirapura area near Assansol in Burdwad.”
“Three squad members were identified as Sombhu Hembram, Somay Hembram and Topan Soren. They are active members of a squad led by slain Sidhu Soren, the founder president of PCAPA’s militant wing Sidhu Kanu Gana Militia. They were active in Bankura and Goaltore area of West Midnapore district,” Kumar told IANS over phone.
The fourth accused was identified as Khogen Hembram. He was an active PCAPA member, police said.
All the accused are residents of West Midnapore, said the police chief.
“They were arrested following a tip off that the Maoist cadres were working in disguise of labours under the modernization project at at a steel plant at Burnpur in Asansol,” said a senior police officer.
The officer said all the accused were arrested early Tuesday by the policemen of Chatna police station in Bankura. The Maoists are active in three western districts of the state - West Midnapore, Bankura and Purulia.
- Maoist leader arrested for Bengal policeman's murder - Nov 25, 2010
- Five suspected Maoists arrested - Oct 07, 2010
- Two Maoists held in Bengal - Mar 15, 2011
- Five Maoists arrested in West Bengal - Sep 26, 2010
- Maoist arms suppliers held in West Bengal - Aug 29, 2010
- Policeman abducted in West Bengal - Mar 05, 2011
- Suspected Maoist linkman arrested - Aug 17, 2010
- Three Maoists nabbed in West Bengal - Feb 02, 2011
- Women Maoist cadres surrender in Bengal - Jul 30, 2012
- Are Maoists losing ground in West Bengal? - Dec 30, 2010
- Two Maoists arrested, explosives recovered in West Bengal - Sep 25, 2010
- Six Maoists arrested in Bankura - Jul 29, 2010
- Maoists kill two women in Bengal - Mar 26, 2011
- Suspected Maoists kill one in Bengal - Jan 09, 2011
- Maoists trigger landmine explosion, no one injured - Jul 27, 2010
Tags: burdwan district, district police, district superintendent, early tuesday, founder president, maoist, maoists, midnapore district, militant wing, modernization project, one people, pranav, purulia, s committee, somay, soren, squad members, steel plant, topan, west bengal