Four LeT men in Mumbai, planning major attack: PoliceDecember 23rd, 2010 - 11:25 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Dec 23 (IANS) Four LeT men have sneaked into Mumbai and are planning a “violent” attack on the city, Joint Commissioner of Police Himanshu Roy said here Thursday evening.”We have received information about four LeT men sneaking into the city some time back. We have released the sketch of one man Vaalid Jinnah,” said Roy.
The names of other three suspects are Abdul Karim Mussa, Noor Ilahi and Mehfuz Alam.
Roy, however, did not reveal when the suspected terrorists entered the city or reveal the route through which they entered.
“We are not in a position to reveal the nationality of the suspects right now, but can say that they belong to the LeT,” he said
Roy said that terrorist organisations have been targeting Mumbai during festivals. He said that two foreign nationals having terrorist links had also entered Mumbai during the Ganesh Chaturthi festival in September.
“We had also released sketches of two suspects, Kalimuddin Khan and Hafiz Sharif, in September. The attackers must have decided against the attack due to wide media coverage,” he said.
Police suspect the city is being targeted again owing to Christmas and New Year revelry as the festivals are celebrated in the city with pomp and enthusiasm by thousands.
Police said the four LeT men were planning a major attack in the city.
“A major attack on the city has been planned, and if executed, it will be a violent attack and lead to terrible destruction,” said Roy.
Mumbai Police have also set up a helpline - 022 22633333 - and requested residents to inform the police about any suspicious activity or person.
The union home ministry on Tuesday had issued a terror alert in Mumbai and Ahmedabad after specific intelligence inputs hinting at a possible LeT attack.
- Mumbai Police releases sketches of four Lashkar terrorists - Dec 24, 2010
- Mumbai on tenterhooks as police hunt for two suspected terrorists (Second Lead) - Sep 10, 2010
- Mumbai soaks in festive spirit of Ganeshotsav, Eid - Sep 11, 2010
- Not 10, but 12 terrorists trained for Mumbai attack: Jindal - Jul 05, 2012
- Mumbai Police warns of arrival of two terror suspects - Sep 10, 2010
- Mumbai Police issues look out notice for Lashkar terrorist - Dec 27, 2010
- Maharashtra Force One conducts mock drill in Mumbai - May 13, 2012
- Nationwide terror alert sounded - Dec 27, 2010
- Terror shadow on cricket World Cup (Lead) - Mar 09, 2011
- US sanctions eight key figures of LeT - Aug 31, 2012
- Nailing Mumbai attack accused 'difficult fish for Pak to fry' due to LeT links - Apr 07, 2011
- Two LeT kingpins put on US terror list - Sep 29, 2011
- 'Terrorists planning to strike during World Cup cricket matches' - Mar 09, 2011
- India to seek extradition of 26/11 accused from US, Pakistan - Jan 30, 2012
- LeT terrorists kill Kashmir cop's mother - Nov 21, 2010
Tags: abdul karim, ahmedabad, attack police, commissioner of police, foreign nationals, ganesh chaturthi, hafiz, helpline, himanshu, mumbai police, mussa, noor, pomp, revelry, sharif, suspicious activity, terror alert, terrorist organisations, union home ministry, violent attack