Four killed, over 136,000 displaced in Sri Lanka floodsOctober 26th, 2008 - 6:50 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, Oct 26 (DPA) At least four people have been killed and some 136,000 displaced in floods in Sri Lanka over the past five days, the Disaster Management Centre (DMC) said Sunday.Keerthi Ekanayaka, coordinating officer of the DMC in the northwest, west and south, said more than 25,000 homes were affected.
The heavy rains also affected Tamil rebel-held northern areas, where government troops are continuing military operations.
At least 150,000 civilians had already been displaced by the fighting in the north, most living in temporary shelters.
- 38,000 displaced in Sri Lanka floods - Dec 22, 2011
- UN agencies assisting Sri Lanka in flood relief - May 22, 2010
- 'Appeasing Tamil flood victims best chance for Sri Lanka to improve maligned image' - Jan 15, 2011
- Four million flood-hit Pakistanis still homeless: Red Cross - Jan 22, 2011
- Mine threats after flood waters recede in Sri Lanka - Jan 17, 2011
- 58 die in China rains - Sep 24, 2011
- Half million people affected in Pakistan floods (Lead) - Aug 06, 2010
- Over 300,000 Sri Lankans displaced in flash floods - Dec 16, 2009
- Orissa seeks Rs.1,000 crore for flood relief - Oct 21, 2011
- Downpour wreaks havoc across China - Jul 24, 2012
- Nine lakh displaced in Assam flood havoc - Aug 24, 2011
- Flashfloods displace 25,000 in the Philippines - Feb 20, 2012
- 2.5 mn Pakistanis need flood aid - Oct 02, 2011
- EU to provide Rs.200 million for flood relief - Oct 13, 2011
- Death toll from Pakistan's floods reach 1,500 - Aug 03, 2010