Four killed in communal riots in Andhra townOctober 10th, 2008 - 10:52 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Oct 10 (IANS) Four people were killed and 15 others were injured in communal riots and police firing Friday in an Andhra Pradesh town, officials said.The violence broke out during the immersion procession of Durga idols in Bhainsa town in Adilabad district, about 280 km from here.
The trouble began after Friday prayers. While one group claimed that the participants in the procession pelted stones at a place of worship, the other group alleged that some people pelted stones at the procession from the place of worship.
The two groups attacked each other with stones and also looted and set afire 40 shops and 12 vehicles. Some miscreants barged into a ginning factory and torched three cotton-laden trucks, the police said.
The police caned clashing groups and when this failed to have any effect, opened fire in the air. Police officials said they opened fire on the violent mobs after firing 35 rounds in the air.
District superintendent of police P. Anil Kumar rushed to the town with additional forces.
Prohibitory orders banning assembly of five or more persons have been imposed in the entire town and additional police forces were being rushed from other parts of the district.
A police official said the situation in the town remained tense but under control. He said the police have intensified patrolling in sensitive areas.
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has called for a shutdown in Adilabad district Saturday to protest the attack on the Durga procession.
- Curfew in Andhra town after communal violence - Oct 11, 2008
- Andhra town tense after communal violence (Lead) - Mar 30, 2012
- Curfew imposed in Andhra town - Mar 30, 2012
- Dacoits kill five of family in UP - Aug 10, 2012
- Workers kill company official in Yanam (Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Violence rocks Yanam, workers kill company official (Second Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Post-communal violence, Andhra town, district remain tense - Oct 13, 2008
- Violence during Ranvir Sena chief's funeral (Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- Day after clash, tension in Bharatpur continues - Sep 15, 2011
- Curfew continues in riot-hit old Hyderabad (Lead) - Apr 09, 2012
- Hyderabad still tense after communal clashes - Mar 29, 2010
- One killed, four injured in Bihar as SSB opens fire - May 26, 2012
- Curfew imposed in old Hyderabad (Lead) - Apr 08, 2012
- Six burnt alive in Andhra communal violence - Oct 12, 2008
- Stone pelter injured in clash with Police in Kulgam in J-K - Aug 18, 2010