Four killed in China earthquake (Lead)August 30th, 2008 - 8:02 pm ICT by IANS
Panzhihua (China), Aug 30 (Xinhua) At least four people were confirmed killed in an earthquake measuring 6.1 on the Richter scale that hit southwest China’s Sichuan province Saturday. The quake struck at 4.30 p.m. with its epicentre some 50 km southeast of Panzhihua city, at a depth of 10 km, the National Seismograph Network Center said.
The tremor was felt in Yunan’s capital, Kunming, about 300 km from the epicentre, and Sichuan’s capital of Chengdu.
Damage to property in some areas was also reported.
Sichuan province had been hit by a magnitude 8.0 earthquake May 12, killing up to 70,000 people and devastating an area of 40,000 sq km. More than 42 million people have been affected by the quake.
- Death toll in China quake rises to 22 (Second Lead) - Aug 30, 2008
- Five die in China quake - Sep 07, 2012
- Tremors rock Kashmir Valley, northwest Pakistan (Third Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- Mild quake occurs in southwest China, no casualty - Dec 29, 2008
- Strong quake jolts southwestern China - Aug 30, 2008
- Tremor rocks Ladakh area, no casualties - Aug 07, 2012
- China quake toll rises to 28 (Second Lead) - Aug 31, 2008
- 6.3-magnitude earthquake hits Pakistan - Jan 24, 2011
- 5.4-magnitude quake hits China - Nov 01, 2011
- Four injured in China quake - Jun 21, 2011
- Pakistan feels tremors as quake hits Tajikistan (Lead) - Jan 24, 2011
- China quake toll 25 (Lead) - Aug 31, 2008
- Delhi feels quake tremors - Jan 19, 2011
- Moderate quake hits Balochistan - May 25, 2012
- Temblor shakes Kashmir, Pakistan, Afghanistan; no loss of life (Roundup) - Nov 07, 2011