Four injured in gunfight in Bangladesh Rifle headquarter (Lead)February 25th, 2009 - 1:05 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, Feb 25 (IANS) At least four civilians were injured in a gunfight that broke out at Bangladesh Rifles (BDR) headquarters here Wednesday morning, media reports said.
“The four injured civilians were admitted to hospitals with bullet wounds,” Xinhua reported witnesses as saying.
Residents close to the BDR headquarters said they heard sounds of gun shots and mortar shells Wednesday morning.
The army has been called to put down the trouble.
“The residents and police sources said they have heard that the trouble broke out at about 9 a.m. local time (8.30 a.m. in India) between BDR soldiers and deputed army officers as the soldiers put forward certain demands.
“They said they have heard that the army officers who used to give command to the paramilitary forces were in a room and the soldiers pressed for meeting their demands,” the report said.
The Daily Star reported Wednesday that “artillery and rifles were also reportedly fired. Scores of civilians were injured in front of the BDR headquarters.”
Smoke billowed out of the BDR compound and a helicopter circled over the building, the report added.
The BDR headquarter is located 15 km outside Dhaka near Peelkhana.
- Bullets fly as army, paramilitary clash in Dhaka (Second Lead) - Feb 25, 2009
- Gunfight at Bangladesh Rifles headquarter injures scores: Report - Feb 25, 2009
- Border guards' trial begins for Dhaka massacre - Aug 24, 2011
- Hasina holds talks with mutinous troopers (Fourth Lead) - Feb 25, 2009
- Bangladesh's troopers end violent revolt, four dead (Roundup) - Feb 25, 2009
- Mutinous Bangladesh troopers agree to lay down arms (Fifth Lead) - Feb 25, 2009
- Bangladesh jails 3,036 border guards for 2009 mutiny - Sep 12, 2011
- Bangladesh border guards want death for mutineers - Dec 17, 2009
- Bangladesh border guard mutineers' trial adjourned - Apr 27, 2010
- Dhaka mulls stringent law to tackle rebellion - Feb 25, 2011
- Submit Bangladesh Rifles mutiny report by March 10, police told - Jan 27, 2010
- Scuffle in army unit raises hackles - May 11, 2012
- Hasina offers talks as troopers mutiny in Bangladesh (Third Lead) - Feb 25, 2009
- Mobile network suspended in Bangladesh following mutiny - Feb 26, 2009
- Security tightened in Dhaka, mutiny over - Feb 27, 2009