Four Himachal students booked for raggingAugust 10th, 2010 - 7:55 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Aug 10 (IANS) Four senior students of a private university in Himachal Pradesh’s Solan district were Tuesday booked for ragging their juniors, police said, adding that one of them has been arrested.
The four students - Hirdesh Sharma, Chetan, Parshant Kashyap and Madan Lal - of Manav Bharti University near Kumarhatti face charges of bullying and manhandling nearly 30 students last (Monday) night, Superintendent of Police Hirdesh Bisht told IANS.
He said a scuffle allegedly took place outside the university campus as the students were staying in rented accommodation.
“Chetan has been arrested and police are on the look-out for the others,” Bisht added.
University Director S.P. Bhardwaj said all the accused have been suspended and barred from appearing in any university exams.
After the death of Aman Kachru, a first year student who was allegedly ragged to death by four senior students of the Rajendra Prasad Medical College at Tanda near Kangra town last year, the state government has made ragging a cognisable, non-bailable offence compoundable with the permission of the court.
Any student convicted of the offence will be punished with imprisonment up to three years or fine of up to Rs.50,000 or both.
The offender will be expelled from the institution and will not be eligible for admission in any other institution for a period of three years.
- Two more Himachal students arrested for ragging - Aug 11, 2010
- Verdict in Aman Kachru's ragged-to-death case Thursday - Nov 10, 2010
- Timeline of Aman Kachru ragged-to-death case - Nov 11, 2010
- Now, report ragging in Himachal through SMS - Jul 27, 2010
- Bail to ragging accused sends wrong message: Kachru's father - Jul 18, 2010
- Three students held for ragging in Himachal - Aug 04, 2011
- Kachru ragging death: Guilty get four years' rigorous imprisonment (Roundup) - Nov 11, 2010
- Kachru ragging: Guilty get four years' rigorous imprisonment (Second Lead) - Nov 11, 2010
- Four convicted in Aman Kachru ragged-to-death case (Lead) - Nov 11, 2010
- Aman Kachru ragging case: Court to pronounce verdict Nov 11 - Oct 30, 2010
- Ragging accused sent to judicial custody - Aug 06, 2011
- Four students guilty of ragging to death Aman Kachru - Nov 11, 2010
- After Kachru's death, college brings out anti-ragging booklet - Jul 12, 2009
- Bail for two Himachal students charged under anti-ragging law - Jul 18, 2009
- Anti-ragging bill introduced in Himachal assembly - Aug 12, 2009
Tags: bailable, bhardwaj, bharti, bisht, chetan, face charges, four students, himachal pradesh, imprisonment, kashyap, last monday, madan lal, manav, medical college, private university, rajendra prasad, rs 50, solan, tanda, university director