Four feared drowned off Chennai coastOctober 3rd, 2008 - 10:34 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Oct 3 (IANS) The search for four missing bathers off the coast here was given up Friday evening as they were presumed drowned and washed away deep into the sea, fire services officials said.Eyewitnesses had reported them missing since late Thursday after a gigantic wave dragged them deep into the water.
The missing people were between ages of 18 and 26. While two were from here, the others were from Cuddalore, 200 km south of here.
Immediate rescue attempts had failed, an official added.
The wreckage of a derelict ship close to the famous Marina seafront here claims at least one life every month when seawaves lash bathers against its sharp metal edges.
- High tidal waves lash Andhra coast - Dec 28, 2011
- Cyclone Thane kills 15 in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry (Third Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Coastal Andhra braces for cyclone 'Thane' (Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
- Cyclone Thane kills 33 in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry (Fourth Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Teenager feared drowned off Mumbai's Juhu beach - Jun 24, 2011
- Cyclone Thane kills five in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry (Second Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Two missing off Chennai beach - Jul 19, 2008
- Fresh tar balls sweep across Goa beaches - Sep 17, 2010
- Dark new year for cyclone-hit Tamil Nadu districts - Jan 01, 2012
- South African beach dubbed world's deadliest - Jan 16, 2012
- Former Lok Sabha speaker Balram Jakhar's son shot dead - Jan 17, 2011
- Andhra on alert as cyclone 'Thane' threatens coast (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- Four people killed in gas tanker blast - Sep 06, 2011
- Philippines interior secretary untraceable - Aug 19, 2012
- Cyclone Thane makes landfall in Tamil Nadu (Lead) - Dec 30, 2011