Four drown in Cauvery river in Tamil NaduSeptember 28th, 2008 - 8:50 pm ICT by IANS
Dharmapuri (Tamil Nadu) Sep 28 (IANS) Four youths drowned in the Cauvery river in Tamil Nadu Sunday, officials said.”Seven young men from Salem district came to the Hogenekkal falls in Dharmapuri district for a picnic and four of them, Ashok Kumar, 20, Shankar, 19, Thirugnanam, 23 and Yuvraj, 20, went swimming near the falls. Thye were apparently caught in a whirlpool and are missing. Their three friends were ashore and couldn’t save them,” district collector P. Amudha told IANS.
“Operations to retrieve the bodies are underway and the parents of the victims have been intimated about the tragedy,” Amudha added.
Situated some 350 km southwest of state capital Chennai, the picturesque falls and a temple here are major tourist attractions.
- Tamil Nadu farmers take to betel nut cultivation - Oct 28, 2010
- Cauvery water dispute adds to Karnataka Congress' woes (Karnataka Newsletter) - Sep 21, 2012
- Three women to manage Pennagaram bypoll - Mar 04, 2010
- Tamil Nadu ex-minister, kin raided for graft (Lead) - May 17, 2012
- Tamil Nadu to study LNG power project feasibility - Mar 29, 2012
- Six drown in western Maharashtra - Aug 01, 2010
- Four swimmers still missing in Maharashtra's Ratnagiri - Aug 19, 2012
- 'Tamil Nadu won't allow Mekedatu dam across Cauvery' - Mar 30, 2012
- Let Kerala give up two taluks to end dam row: Karunanidhi - Jan 12, 2012
- Sexually transmitted infections drop in Tamil Nadu: Survey - Nov 04, 2011
- Supreme Court issues notices to Karnataka, Centre on Sivasamudram project - Aug 21, 2009
- High tidal waves lash Andhra coast - Dec 28, 2011
- Three Mumbai students drown in waterfall - Oct 31, 2011
- Tamil Nadu begins work on Hogenekkal water project - Jun 19, 2008
- Water from Mettur Dam to be released June 6 - May 22, 2011