Four die in Orissa floods, worst yet to comeSeptember 19th, 2008 - 4:58 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Sep 19 (IANS) Flash floods have killed four people in Orissa as officials Friday warned that the situation may worsen when water released from the state’s largest reservoir reaches the coastal districts. Although there was no fresh rainfall Friday, officials said things were going to be worse when the water released from Hirakud reservoir Thursday reaches the interior parts of the coastal districts by Friday evening.
All major state rivers and their tributaries were flowing above the danger level due to the heavy rains. More than a million people in 12 of the state’s 30 districts were affected, officials said.
“The worst is yet to come,” Benudhar Dash, additional relief commissioner, told IANS.
Due to heavy rains in the upper catchment areas including in Chhattisgarh, a huge quantity of water was entering the Hirakud reservoir.
The maximum capacity of the dam is 630 feet and the water level has already crossed 629 feet, Dash said.
At least 22 gates of the dam were opened Thursday and four more dam gates were opened Friday.
The coastal districts of Cuttack, Puri, Jagatsinghpur and Kendrapara are likely to be affected, officials said.
Schools in the districts have been closed Friday and Saturday.
At least 30,000 people have been evacuated and more people are likely to be evacuated, Dash said. The government has also ordered people living in vulnerable areas to move to safer places.
- Floods displace thousands in Orissa - Sep 10, 2011
- Orissa floods: A man-made disaster? - Sep 15, 2011
- Orissa floods: Seven dead, one million affected, worse to come (Lead) - Sep 19, 2008
- Orissa steps up flood relief efforts - Sep 12, 2011
- Orissa flood toll 20 - Sep 14, 2011
- Water level increases in rivers and dams of Orissa - Jul 15, 2009
- Orissa floods: Six die, toll rises to 32 - Sep 16, 2011
- Water row between Andhra, Rayalaseema hots up - Sep 01, 2012
- Orissa flood situation continues to be grim, fresh areas submerged - Sep 21, 2008
- Relief efforts intensified as Orissa floods worsen - Sep 25, 2011
- Flood gates opened at Himachal's Pong Dam - Aug 18, 2011
- Death toll in Orissa flood rises to 22 - Sep 15, 2011
- Water rises in Himachal's Pong dam - Aug 21, 2012
- Orissa seeks Rs.15 bn as flood situation worsens (Lead) - Sep 20, 2008
- Four more die in Orissa floods, toll at 26 - Sep 15, 2011