Four die in Ecuador gold mine blastFebruary 24th, 2012 - 12:08 pm ICT by IANS
Quito, Feb 24 (IANS/EFE) Four people were killed and six badly injured in an explosion at a gold mine in the southern province of Azuay, authorities said.
The blast took place at the Cascavel mine in the municipality of Canton Ponce Enriquez and was “apparently” caused by the mishandling of dynamite, a source at Ecuador’s emergency management agency told EFE.
“There are four dead and six seriously hurt,” he said, adding that the injured were taken to a hospital in Machala, capital of neighboring El Oro province.
The Cascavel mine is located in a remote, sparsely populated area.
- Adulterated liquor kills 29 in Ecuador - Jul 23, 2011
- Ecuador toxic alcohol toll climbs to 50 - Sep 03, 2011
- 30 die in Ecuador bus accident - Dec 25, 2010
- 17 dead, 40 hurt in Ecuador accident - Apr 14, 2011
- 16 kids hurt by fireworks in El Salvador - Dec 26, 2011
- Over 50 percent of Ecuador's oil exports went to China - Oct 21, 2011
- Mana rocks Ecuador concert - Feb 26, 2012
- Former boxer murdered in Ecuador - Jul 16, 2012
- Football team president gunned down in Ecuador - Jan 17, 2011
- Ecuador seeks to hedge oil prices against drop - Jul 04, 2011
- Ecuador expects China to fully finance refinery - Apr 23, 2012
- Ecuador in talks to buy South African warplanes - Sep 26, 2009
- Ecuador begins destroying WW II bombs - Jan 18, 2012
- 2,000 land mines found in Colombia in 2011 - Sep 19, 2011
- Britain threatening to take Assange by force: Ecuador - Aug 16, 2012