Four children die of wrong blood transfusionMarch 16th, 2012 - 1:00 am ICT by IANS
Bhopal, March 15 (IANS) Suspected transfusion of blood of the wrong group led to the death of four thalassemia-affected children aged between two and eight at a government hospital in a Madhya Pradesh district.
The Medical College Jabalpur authorities have constituted a three-member committee to probe the charges after a complaint was lodged by the parents of the dead children.
“The blood bank authorities transfused blood of the wrong group which led to her death,” Girija Shankar Agrawal, who lost his granddaughter Kasish, 8, told IANS.
The other deceased were identified as Ram Gautam, 7, Ayushi Dubey, 8, and Prathiba Kol, 2. All four died within 24 hours since Wednesday evening.
Agrawal also alleged that Kasish was normal before the blood transfusion.
“All children who died were chronic recipients. Initially, it seems that they died of transfusion-associated immunomodulation (TRIM). Still I have constituted a team of three professors to look into the matter,” Sashi Khare, dean Jabalpur medical college, told IANS.
She also said that 16 children suffering from thalassemia underwent the blood transfusion of whom three died in the last 24 hours, four of were critical and got stable after treatment and the remaining have already been discharged.
- Awareness is key to prevent thalassemia - May 06, 2012
- Summer brings drought of blood donors: Experts (June 14 is World Blood Donors Day) - Jun 13, 2010
- Summer vacations bring drought in blood banks: Experts (June 14 is World Blood Donor Day) - Jun 14, 2012
- Human rights panel seeks report on 'infected' blood transfusion - Jul 19, 2010
- Eight Jodhpur kids found to be HIV positive after blood transfusion - Jul 12, 2010
- Outdated blood testing contributes to HIV among thalassemic kids - Jan 07, 2011
- MCD, DU students join on thalassemia awareness campaign - May 06, 2011
- Swine flu claims one life in Bhopal - Mar 29, 2012
- HIV positive children battle disease, discrimination (Dec 1 is World AIDS Day) - Dec 01, 2010
- Infected thalassaemic children in Jodhpur: Numbers could rise - Jul 14, 2010
- Three booked for wrong blood transfusion - Jun 15, 2011
- Filtering donor blood cuts cardiac risk, lung complications - Jun 23, 2010
- HIV virus used to cure teenager of blood disorder - Sep 17, 2010
- Bollywood actors cheer up children with blood disorder - May 04, 2009
- Encephalitis claims five more lives in Bihar, toll 230 - Jun 24, 2012