Four children burnt to death in Madhya PradeshFebruary 22nd, 2009 - 1:20 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, Feb 22 (IANS) Four children of a family were burnt to death and one was injured in Chandrapur village of Singrauli district of Madhya Pradesh, police said Sunday.
Though Singrauli, where the incident occurred Friday-Saturday night, is known as the power capital of the state, the siblings - two brothers and two sisters - who died in the incident used to study at night by candle light since there was no electricity in the area for the past several days.
“On Friday after midnight, they went off to sleep without blowing out the candle and it fell over causing the fire in the room. Their charred bodies were later found in the room,” said Singrauli police superintendent Anurag Kumar, adding that the postmortem report indicated children died of suffocation.
The children’s father Mohammad Shafiq, a small-time coal transporter, told police that his eldest son Mohammad Ali (16) was teaching his siblings by candle light till 11 p.m. or so. Ali was the only one who managed to escape from the burning room and informed his parents, sleeping in the other room, of the fire.
By the time his parents and other residents could come for help, the fire had engulfed the entire room, said the SP, adding apparently the children fell unconscious and were badly burnt. By the time, the four were rescued, two children had already died.
The two other died on way to the hospital.
- Six children burnt to death in Bihar - Nov 24, 2011
- Three burnt to death in Noida - Jan 07, 2012
- Woman, her two kids set afire in Bangladesh for dowry - Jul 05, 2011
- 135 die as flames engulf two factories in Pakistan (Third Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Over 300 dead as blaze engulfs two factories in Pakistan (Night Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Three Pakistani kids die in mortar shell blast - Feb 26, 2012
- Five of family burnt to death in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 31, 2011
- Four of family burnt to death in Bihar - Mar 31, 2011
- 239 die as blaze engulfs two factories in Pakistan (Fourth Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Six of a family charred to death in Jharkhand - Feb 26, 2012
- Another Kolkata man dies near burnt laptop - Feb 05, 2012
- Toxic gases kill four in Rajasthan well - Jun 17, 2012
- Woman, two children burnt to death in sleep - Aug 09, 2010
- Four killed in China stabbing, arson attack - Aug 04, 2012
- Pakistani kills eight of his family - Oct 24, 2011