Four children among five killed in West Bengal fireOctober 22nd, 2008 - 3:09 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Oct 22 (IANS) Five members of a family, including four children, were killed and 120 shanties destroyed in a devastating fire at Shibpur in West Bengal’s Howrah district Tuesday night.”Four of the five killed were children. All of them belonged to the same family,” a police official said, adding that four others have been admitted to a hospital in serious condition.
The fire, which broke out at around 9 p.m. on Foreshore Road, was brought under control around midnight by seven fire tenders, officials said.
Senior police officers have gone to the spot to prevent any breach of peace with the shanty-dwellers protesting against the late arrival of fire brigade personnel.
The cause of the fire was yet to be determined.
- Fire destroys 50 shanties in West Bengal - Oct 22, 2008
- Four killed in Bengal wall collapse - Jun 09, 2012
- Six killed, 600 homeless in West Bengal fire - Oct 22, 2008
- Fire hits bank in Agra - May 10, 2011
- Four children killed in Bengal slum fire - Dec 30, 2010
- 120 huts gutted in Pakistan fire - Oct 29, 2011
- 70 shanties gutted in fire - Feb 03, 2012
- One killed in Noida factory blaze - Jul 16, 2011
- Woman killed in Delhi factory fire - Jan 26, 2011
- Hundreds homeless as shacks gutted in Delhi (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Kashmir shrine gutted, Holy relic safe (Second Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Blaze leaves over 300 Orissa families homeless - Apr 21, 2010
- Two fires break out in Kolkata, no casualties - Jun 16, 2012
- 100 shanties gutted in Delhi fire (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Fire at slum cluster in Delhi - Jun 22, 2012