Four buried under avalanche in Kashmir, two rescued (Lead)February 6th, 2009 - 11:19 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Feb 6 (IANS) Two of the six people who were buried under an avalanche in north Jammu and Kashmir late Thursday were rescued Friday, officials said.“Six persons, one police constable and five civilians, were buried under an avalanche late last evening in Machil area of Kupwara district,” a senior police officer said here.
The officer said rescue was launched early Friday morning, but fresh avalanches in the area severely affected the operations.
“The victims are lying under 15 feet of snow and bad weather in the area is severely affecting our efforts to rescue the victims,” the officer said.
However, rescuers succeeded late Friday in saving two civilians, who were immediately rushed to hospital, Divisional Commissioner Masaud Samoon said.
Authorities refused to confirm the fate of the remaining four. While the chances of any survivors were very bleak more than 18 hours after the tragedy, rescue works would resume Saturday morning, officials said.
It had snowed heavily in Machil since Thursday evening and reports said the group of six was passing through the Zeed Ghali, a narrow gorge, when the avalanche struck them.
- Six buried under avalanche in Kashmir - Feb 06, 2009
- Kashmir avalanche: BSF officer's body recovered, six missing (Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- Bodies of soldiers killed in Kashmir avalanche recovered - Jul 09, 2012
- Gurez avalanche: Death toll rises to three - Mar 21, 2012
- Heavy snowfall in Kashmir, avalanche warning issued (With Images) - Jan 15, 2012
- Five soldiers buried in Kashmir avalanche - Jan 24, 2012
- US offers help in Pakistan avalanche rescue - Apr 09, 2012
- Tunnels dug to reach Pakistan avalanche victims - Apr 11, 2012
- 'Rescue work on for missing Siachen avalanche victims' - Apr 13, 2012
- Nine civilians rescued alive from Sonamarg avalanche - Feb 24, 2012
- Eleven army personnel killed in Kashmir avalanches (Second Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Hope fading fast for Pakistan avalanche victims - Apr 09, 2012
- Dutch prince hospitalised after Austrian avalanche - Feb 18, 2012
- Dutch Prince Friso buried by avalanche in Austria, in critical condition - Feb 17, 2012
- Avalanche warning for Kashmir's Gurez town - Mar 05, 2012