Four booked for Odisha gangrape after mounting pressureJanuary 10th, 2012 - 4:43 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Jan 10 (IANS) After pressure from the public and direction from the higher authorities, Odisha Police Tuesday registered a criminal case against four people for the alleged gangrape of a woman in the Puri district nearly a month and a half ago.
The action came a day after the state Human Rights Commission took suo motu cognizance of the matter after a public outcry, and directed police to register a case and submit an action taken report within three days.
The 19-year-old woman was allegedly gangraped Nov 28 last year by some people near Arjunagoda, her village about 10 km from state capital Bhubaneswar. Her family alleges the accused were the same people who had assaulted her in 2008 and against whom she had put up a determined fight in court.
The woman is currently admitted to a hospital in Bhubaneswar in a state of coma after the assault.
“Police have registered a criminal case against four peole. Besides, we are taking steps for the medical examination of the victim,” police inspector Amulya Chamaptiray told IANS Tuesday.
The family members alleged the woman was first assaulted by the same group of men in January 2008 a few days after she allegedly protested the molestation of her friend by them. Unable to bear the trauma, her friend had then committed suicide.
However, the woman survived the assault and was determined to stand and fight the case in court to punish the culprits. The miscreants had also allegedly attacked her house Feb 18 the same year after she became a court witness in the molestation case.
Based on her statements, police had arrested two of the accused that year.
The family believes the same group of people, who were roaming around after coming out on bail, committed the latest crime to avenge their arrest in the molestation case.
They accuse the police of inaction despite repeated complaints.
However, Chamaptiray said police had not received any specific complaints against the suspects. He said the investigation is on to find out if the latest crime has anything to do with the 2008 incidents.
- Odisha gangrape: One suspect arrested (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- Pipili case: Charge sheet filed against dismissed cop - May 11, 2012
- Odisha gangrape: Minister resigns - Jan 19, 2012
- Odisha gangrape victim dies in hospital - Jun 21, 2012
- Three Odisha doctors charged in Pipli gangrape case - Jun 13, 2012
- Arrest of ex-minister sought in Odisha gang rape - Mar 05, 2012
- Odisha gangrape victim's death triggers protests - Jun 22, 2012
- Odisha gang rape: Doctors protest action - Jun 27, 2012
- CBI probe sought into Odisha gangrape - Jan 30, 2012
- Investigating agency rules out rape in Pipili case - Mar 10, 2012
- Minister mulls legal action against gangrape remarks - Mar 07, 2012
- AIIMS team examines Odisha gangrape victim - Jan 28, 2012
- Odisha gangrape: Minister resigns (Lead) - Jan 19, 2012
- Opposition parties demand justice for rape victim - Jan 16, 2012
- Protests over Odisha women panel's report on gang rape - Feb 07, 2012
Tags: amulya, assault police, cognizance, court witness, criminal case, culprits, family members, gangrape, human rights commission, inaction, medical examination, miscreants, molestation case, month and a half, old woman, peole, police inspector, public outcry, puri district, taking steps