Four arrested with 150 rare tortoisesJanuary 26th, 2009 - 4:23 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Jan 26 (IANS) Four men have been arrested in Mainpuri district of Uttar Pradesh for possessing 150 tortoises of a rare species, police said Monday.“Acting on a tip-off, we intercepted the four men in the Daree locality and seized the Indian tent tortoises from the sacks they were carrying,” police inspector Mahipal Singh told IANS on telephone. Mainpuri is some 200 km from here.
He said the men were arrested Sunday and have been jointly interrogated by the police and forest department officials. He claimed they belong to a tortoise smuggling racket operating from Kolkata.
All the tortoises recovered are listed under the Schedule I of the Wildlife Protection Act.
- Two poachers held with over 40 tortoises - Jan 10, 2011
- Three held with 400 tortoises in Uttar Pradesh - Dec 29, 2010
- Three poachers held in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 06, 2011
- Nearly 1500 turles seized in Bihar - Feb 14, 2011
- Four poachers arrested in Uttar Pradesh - Oct 28, 2009
- Two poachers held with 900 tortoises - Jan 17, 2011
- Three poachers arrested with chinkara parts - Jan 28, 2012
- Three held with fake currency in Rajasthan's Bharatpur - Jul 02, 2012
- Orissa police seize 96 turtles, arrest one - Dec 12, 2009
- Eight held with snake venom in Goa - Jul 31, 2012
- Poachers nabbed with 40 tortoises in Uttar Pradesh - Feb 10, 2010
- Six foreigners held with heroin worth Rs.11 crore - Aug 05, 2011
- Forest officials rescue 39 smuggled tortoises in Nainital - Feb 13, 2011
- Poacher held with 80 tortoises in Uttar Pradesh - Nov 06, 2010
- Two arrested with tiger skins in Varanasi - Jun 11, 2011