Four arrested for murdering CPI-M activists in West BengalJanuary 28th, 2009 - 4:42 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Jan 28 (IANS) Four people were arrested Wednesday in West Bengal’s North 24 Parganas district for allegedly murdering two Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) activists, police said Wednesday.“Four people - Krishnendu Bhattacharjee, Debasis Sanyal, Shanto Bhattacharjee and Asim Basak - were arrested early Wednesday from Titagarh town for murdering Sujit and Shambhu Dasgupta,” said District Superintendent of Police Supratim Sarkar.
“Two other accused are still absconding. We are looking out for them,” Sarkar added.
The police have also recovered the murder weapons, including a chopper, from the criminals.
According to the police, Sujit Dasgupta was a member of the CPI-M Dum Dum-I zonal committee, while Shambhu Dasgupta was also a CPI-M activist.
Sarkar further said the arrested men have confessed that they committed the crime.
“All four have confessed that they murdered the duo Tuesday night in Durganagar town. However, during investigation, they said the act was not a pre-planned one,” Sarkar said.
“There was an altercation between the six criminals and the Dasguptas over setting up a hawker shop at Durganagar railway platform. In the heat of the moment, the criminals attacked the duo and killed them,” he added.
The four men will be produced at the Barrackpore court Thursday.
“We will request the court to remand them to police custody,” Sarkar said.
- Peaceful voting, 75 percent turnout in Bengal (Roundup) - Apr 27, 2011
- Maoist held for killing businessman - Dec 17, 2010
- CPI-M leader's kin held over land deal - Mar 24, 2011
- Buddhadeb knew of mass murders: Trinamool - Aug 12, 2011
- Peaceful voting, 80 percent turnout in Bengal (Intro Roundup) - Apr 28, 2011
- Dasgupta dials Chidambaram, says Kishenji murdered - Nov 25, 2011
- CPI-M leader held for Kerala murder - May 16, 2012
- CPI-M denies role in Chandrasekharan murder - Jun 09, 2012
- Two voters die, 64 percent turnout till 3 p.m. in Bengal (Fourth Lead) - Apr 27, 2011
- CPI-M leader, four others held for Chandrasekharan murder - May 15, 2012
- Endgame for Left in Bengal, Trinamool headed for big win (Lead) - May 13, 2011
- Two killed in Bengal, Trinamool says victims were cadres - Feb 17, 2011
- CPI-M worker lynched in West Bengal - Jan 10, 2011
- Will act if murder link proved: CPI-M - Jun 11, 2012
- Kerala CPI-M leader charged with murder, conspiracy - May 28, 2012
Tags: altercation, asim, barrackpore, basak, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, dasgupta, district superintendent, four men, hawker, heat of the moment, jan 28, kolkata, murder weapons, railway platform, shambhu, shanto, sujit, west bengal