Foundation stone of Sri Guru Granth Sahib University laidSeptember 1st, 2008 - 9:15 pm ICT by IANS
Fatehgarh Sahib (Punjab), Sep 1 (IANS) Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal Monday laid the foundation stone here of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib World University, which he said would spread the philosophy and ideology of Sikhism.The university campus will come up in this Sikh holy town, 60 km from Chandigarh.
Badal said the university would not only undertake research on different aspects of Sri Guru Granth Sahib but also carry out comparative study of other religions to enable the students, researchers and theologians to have better understanding of all religions.
Badal lauded the role of Shiromani Gurudwara Prabandhak Committee (SGPC) for the conceptualization of the project and donating 84 acres of land for it.
“The first phase of the university will be completed within one year for classes to begin here Sep 1 next year,” Badal said.
SGPC president Avtar Singh Makkar said the Rs 4.5 billion world university would be a state-of-the-art premier institution.
Badal said that the word ‘Sikh’ had been deleted from the earlier name of the university since it had been named Sri Guru Granth Sahib World University.
- SGPGC's Sri Guru Granth Sahib university launched - Jul 25, 2011
- Slap murder charge if holy book is damaged: SGPC - Sep 29, 2011
- SGPC installs Golden Temple replica at Wagah border - Mar 20, 2010
- Punjab: where politics and religion mix well (Punjab Newsletter) - Dec 31, 2011
- Granth Sahib University to commence session March 2011 - Dec 16, 2009
- Guru Nanak's birth anniversary celebrated with fervour (Lead) - Nov 21, 2010
- Badal conferred highest Sikh title, radicals cry foul - Dec 05, 2011
- Guru Granth Sahib varsity VC shot at, injured - Aug 01, 2011
- PM cancels Punjab trip, SGPC and Akalis upset - Nov 03, 2011
- Sikh community offers final prayers for two Sikhs beheaded in Pakistan - Feb 27, 2010
- When PM's no-show becomes an election issue (Punjab Newsletter) - Nov 05, 2011
- President offers prayers at Golden Temple - Oct 06, 2010
- Golden Temple honors Hindu statesman - Apr 02, 2011
- Avtar Singh Makkar re-elected SGPC chief - Nov 16, 2010
- Akali Dal releases agenda for gurdwara panel poll - Aug 20, 2011