Forrest, Wade in Australia’s Test squad; Haddin retainedMarch 14th, 2012 - 4:27 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, March 14 (IANS) Wicket-keeper Brad Haddin Wednesday retained his place in the 16-member Australia squad announced Wednesday for the first Test in the West Indies. Peter Forrest and Matthew Wade were the two fresh faces picked.
Haddin’s future in the Test side was under doubt after Matthew Wade replaced him in the 50 over format. Wade is already in the West Indies for the one-day series and has also been named in the Test team.
Batsman Forrest was rewarded for his impressive show in the CB series involving India and Sri Lanka.
Skipper Michael Clarke, who is not part of the ODI series due to a hamstring injury, is also expected to fit in time for the Test beginning April 7 in Barbados.
“It is anticipated Michael Clarke will be fully recovered and take his place as Captain for the first Test,” said National Selector John Inverarity.
“Shane Watson will come back into the Test side and he could replace Shaun Marsh in the vitally important number three position while James Pattinson’s availability will be welcomed after his excellent performances during the first four Test matches of his career during the Australian summer.
“Patrick Cummins was not considered for selection as his fitness is not well enough progressed.”
The side comprises five fast bowlers in Pattinson, Micthell Starc, Peter Siddle, Ben Hilfenhaus, Ryan Harris and two specialist spinners Nathan Lyon and Michael Beer.
Australia squad: Michael Clarke (captain), Shane Watson (vice-captain), Michael Beer, Ed Cowan, Peter Forrest, Brad Haddin, Ryan Harris, Ben Hilfenhaus, Mike Hussey, Nathan Lyon, James Pattinson, Ricky Ponting, Peter Siddle, Mitchell Starc, Matthew Wade, David Warner.
- Harris, Starc dropped from Windies tour, Haddin recalled - Feb 29, 2012
- Johnson lucky to get a Cricket Australia central contract - Jun 22, 2012
- Ponting axed from Australia's ODI squad, Watson returns - Feb 20, 2012
- Australia field four debutants against New Zealand - Nov 26, 2011
- Harris returns to Australia Test squad - Dec 30, 2011
- Australia drop Starc, Christian from 11 for Boxing Day Test - Dec 24, 2011
- Australia bat in fourth Test - Jan 24, 2012
- Australia name unchanged XI for second Test - Jan 02, 2012
- Australia retain squad for Adelaide Test - Jan 17, 2012
- Australia drop Marsh, rest Haddin for ODI tri-series - Jan 30, 2012
- Copeland, Lyon new faces in Australia's squad for Sri Lanka series - Jul 26, 2011
- Australia recall Pattinson, drop Harris - Feb 28, 2012
- World T20: Australia axe Pattinson from preliminary squad - Jul 18, 2012
- India opt to bat against Australia at SCG - Jan 03, 2012
- Australia recall Hilfenhaus, Cowan set for Test debut against India - Dec 21, 2011
Tags: beer australia, captain michael, cb series, david warner, fresh faces, james pattinson, michael beer, michael clarke, mike hussey, odi series, peter forrest, ricky ponting, ryan harris, shane watson, siddle, sydney march, test side, test squad, vice captain, wicket keeper