Former US envoy to Sri Lanka deadSeptember 18th, 2008 - 8:35 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, Sep 18 (IANS) William Howard Wriggins, who was the US ambassador to Sri Lanka and the Maldives in 1977-79, has died, the embassay said Thursday.An embassy statement said that he died Aug 30 at Hannover, New Hampshire.
Born in 1918, Wriggins had an illustrious career in academia and public service. In 1960 he penned what became a landmark work, “Ceylon: Dilemmas of a New Nation”.
His interest in South Asia, specifically Sri Lanka, continued his entire life. He authored numerous book and papers on Sri Lanka, including a biography of former president J.R. Jayewardene, which he co-authored with K.M. de Silva.
Wriggins’ interest and love for Sri Lanka spanned 50 years. He traveled frequently to the island and maintained close contact with his many Sri Lankan friends up until his death.
He survived by his wife, Sally Hovey Wriggins, three children, and six grandchildren.
- Sri Lanka, Vietnam ink oil deal - Oct 14, 2011
- Sri Lanka to drop colonial Ceylon from official names - Dec 30, 2010
- Sri Lankan minister warns rights activists - Mar 24, 2012
- Former Sri Lankan cricketer slams premier league critics - Aug 31, 2012
- Sri Lankan cricket board backs sacking of Australian coach - Jan 28, 2012
- US favours independent probe in Maldives - Feb 14, 2012
- PM pledges support to new Maldivian president - Feb 08, 2012
- Pakistan capable of winning World Cup, says Aravinda de Silva - Mar 17, 2011
- Veteran cricket writer Trevor Chesterfield dead - Apr 06, 2011
- Sri Lanka is no stage for India-China rivalry: Envoy (Interview) - Sep 17, 2012
- Sri Lanka set to erase colonial name 'Ceylon' from state institutions - Jan 03, 2011
- Lankan performers in India with classical repertoire - Aug 21, 2011
- Maldives president wants to meet (Lead) - Feb 08, 2012
- Maldives president wants to meet Manmohan (Second Lead) - Feb 08, 2012
- Iran keen to expand trade ties with Sri Lanka - Dec 17, 2011