Former RBI governor nominated to UN task forceNovember 15th, 2008 - 10:05 am ICT by IANS
United Nations, Nov 15 (IANS) Former Reserve Bank of India (RBI) governor Y. Venugopal Reddy has been nominated by the UN General Assembly president Miguel d´Escoto to a UN task force to examine possible reform of the global financial system.The 10-member Commission of Experts of the President of the General Assembly on Reforms of the International Monetary and Financial System is headed by US’s Joseph Stiglitz, the 2001 Nobel Prize winner in economics. He is also former senior vice president and chief economist of the World Bank.
The commission will suggest steps that the member states can take to secure a more stable global economic order, Enrique Yeves, spokesperson for the president of the General Assembly said Friday.
Key plenary meetings of the commission are scheduled for December, January and March.
Besides Reddy, the commission also includes Avinash Persaud - a person of Indian origin from Barbados. An eminent economist, Persaud is chairman of Intelligence Capital Limited, member of the council of the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE), and founding director of the Global Association of Risk Professionals.
Other members of the commission are Zeti Akhtar Aziz, governor and chairman of the Central Bank of Malaysia; Chukwuma Soludo, governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria; and Yu Yongding, former member of Monetary Policy Committee of the People’s Bank of China.
Also on the panel are José Antonio Ocampo, former social affairs and finance minister of Colombia; Eisuke Sakakibara, former Japanese vice minister of finance and international affairs; and Jean-Paul Fitoussi, president of the Scientific Council of the Institute d’Etudes Politiques de Paris.
Jomo Kwame Sundaram, assistant UN secretary-general for economic development, represents the UN in this commission.
- Francois Hollande: The next president of France - May 07, 2012
- IMF urges euro zone to contain crisis - Mar 02, 2012
- UN postpones economic summit - May 23, 2009
- US monopoly on World Bank presidency challenged (Lead) - Mar 24, 2012
- Abu Dhabi to host GCC monetary agencies meet Thursday - Mar 09, 2011
- BRICS seeks revamp in global monetary system (Roundup) - Apr 14, 2011
- African central bank governors seek monetary integration - Aug 31, 2012
- PM's 'chair' offered to Cambridge professor - May 20, 2012
- Highlights of 4th BRICS Summit - Mar 29, 2012
- Slow recovery, Europe remain uncertainties: China (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- Kenya's central bank cuts benchmark rate - Jul 06, 2012
- Rangarajan for RBI intervention to check rupee fall - Nov 19, 2011
- Bernanke hints at moves to aid US labour market, recovery - Sep 01, 2012
- Expert committee under Rangarajan on sugar sector - Jan 27, 2012
- G20 finance ministers meet in Mexico - Feb 25, 2012