Former Navy man held for smuggling oreMarch 23rd, 2010 - 4:17 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, March 23 (IANS) Two people, including a former Indian Navy sailor, have been arrested in Orissa’s mineral-rich Keonjhar district for smuggling ore to other states, police said Tuesday.
Kasinath Behera, 42, was smuggling iron ore and manganese ore to other parts of the country through a transport firm he had set up, district Superintendent of Police A.K. Singh told IANS.
He is a resident of Joda town in Keonjhar, about 235 km from here.
Behera, locally known as Kandra, was booked under the National Security Act in 1995. At least 13 cases were pending against him.
“We have arrested Kandra and Dilip Ghosh, one of his close associates,” Singh said adding that this has taken the total number of arrests in ore smuggling cases to 100 during the past three months.
Investigations into illegal mining in Orissa by various state and central agencies started after some politicians alleged in July that some mines were operating without licences.
- One more booked for illegal mining in Orissa - Apr 18, 2010
- Four more arrested for smuggling ore - Mar 25, 2010
- Odisha, Jharkhand to intensity anti-mineral smuggling drive - Aug 22, 2012
- 800 tonnes of manganese, iron ore seized - Mar 08, 2010
- 340 held for illegal mining in Orissa since January - Dec 12, 2010
- 600 tonnes of iron ore seized in Orissa - Feb 03, 2010
- Over 500 tonnes of manganese, iron ore seized - Feb 27, 2010
- One more booked under stringent law for illegal mining - Apr 08, 2010
- Five men posing as Maoists held for extortion - Dec 27, 2010
- National Security Act slapped on Orissa criminal - Mar 10, 2010
- Orissa mine officials seize unclaimed manganese ore - Dec 29, 2009
- Maoists torch police post in Orissa - Feb 10, 2011
- Orissa allows six iron ore mines to resume operations - Jan 24, 2011
- Raids on leading Orissa mining company - Nov 12, 2009
- Eight trucks of illegal iron ore seized in Orissa - Feb 05, 2010
Tags: behera, bhubaneswar, close associates, district superintendent, indian navy, investigations, iron ore, manganese ore, national security act, navy man, navy sailor, orissa, politicians, three months, transport firm