Former minister arrested after supporters clash with policeJune 14th, 2008 - 11:01 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, June 14 (IANS) Former Jharkhand minister Samresh Singh was arrested with 11 others Saturday after his supporters clashed with the police and blocked a national highway here. The former minister and his supporters were demanding compensation to the family of a youth killed in a robbery Friday night at Chandanyar, around 140 km from here.
The blockade continued for more than three hours. The police used tear gas to disperse the crowd. In the scuffle, six people were injured. Later Singh and 11 supporters were arrested.
As an independent legislator, Singh had been minister two Bharatiya Janata Party-led governments in Jharkhand, once under Babulal Marandi and once under Arjun Munda.
- Marandi seeking Maoist help to win Jamshedpur by-poll: Munda - Jun 30, 2011
- Ahuwalia files nomination for Jharkhand Rajya Sabha poll - Apr 21, 2012
- Jharkhand assembly disrupted over Marandi's arrest - Mar 10, 2011
- Jharkhand speaker bars media from reporting disruption - Mar 10, 2011
- Shutdown hits life in Jharkhand, Medha Patkar booked - May 02, 2011
- Marandi fasts in support of Anna - Aug 23, 2011
- Grateful Jharkhand gives Shibu Soren house for life - Nov 25, 2010
- Munda appeals to Marandi to end hunger strike - May 05, 2011
- Legislator tears own shirt in Jharkhand assembly - Sep 03, 2012
- Marandi, legislators held in anti-encroachment protest - Mar 31, 2011
- Munda faces tough by-poll as campaigning ends - Feb 08, 2011
- One killed as protesters, police clash in Ranchi - Sep 03, 2012
- Legislator tears off kurta in Jharkhand assembly - Mar 10, 2011
- Jharkhand police failed to present key witness in massacre case - Dec 15, 2011
- Opposition to field common candidate against Munda in by-poll - Jan 21, 2011