Former Manipur minister faces molestation chargeMarch 18th, 2008 - 6:29 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, March 18 (IANS) A former Manipur minister was arrested, but later released on bail, for allegedly trying to molest his Congress party colleague in her south Delhi home. Viren Singh, 46, was arrested from near a bus stop in the Mehrauli area early Saturday, where he was waiting for a taxi to go to Delhi’s domestic airport to board a flight to Manipur capital Imphal.
The police said Singh had twice been minister of public works department (PWD) in the northeast state.
According to the police, the incident occurred on night between Friday and Saturday at the victim’s Chattarpur Enclave home, where she had invited Singh to dinner.
“The victim, 33, who claims to be the general secretary of Youth Congress in Arunachal Pradesh, alleged in her written complaint that Singh forced her to drink alcohol and then tried to molest her,” a police officer told IANS.
“Singh pushed her and fled from her house after she raised an alarm. She called the police at around 4 a.m.,” the officer added.
The former minister was arrested under section 354 IPC (assault or use of criminal force with intent to outrage a woman’s modesty), which is a bailable offence.
Singh was taken to the Mehrauli police station. He was later released on bail after Vivek Raj, a legislator from Manipur, stood surety for his bail with a personal bond of Rs.30,000.
- RCB player Luke Pomersbach gets bail - May 19, 2012
- IPL player Luke Pomersbach gets bail (Lead) - May 19, 2012
- Haryana: Widow molestation case victim goes missing - Jun 11, 2010
- Two held for molesting women - Oct 06, 2011
- Women raped by cab driver in south Delhi - Dec 13, 2011
- Mamata's secretariat official evading arrest: CPI-M - Apr 20, 2012
- Australian woman alleges molestation in Goa - Oct 27, 2010
- Mumbai man held for molesting daughter - May 20, 2012
- Kanda's brother gets bail in dud cheque case (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Delhi CM's drivers booked for misbehaving with woman - Jun 02, 2011
- UP lawmaker's son held for thrashing Russian woman (Lead) - Mar 05, 2012
- Russian molested by burglar in Goa apartment - Nov 17, 2010
- Woman arrested for providing surety on fake documents - Feb 26, 2012
- Woman beats man to death for harassing her - Jun 20, 2011
- NGO worker, son-in-law arrested for assaulting protection home inmates (Lead) - May 10, 2012