Former legislator Gaganjit Singh Barnala acquitted in rape caseFebruary 27th, 2009 - 4:47 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Feb 27 (IANS) Former Punjab legislator Gaganjit Singh Barnala was Friday acquitted in a 2006 rape case by a local court here Friday.
Barnala was a Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) legislator from Dhuri in district Sangrur, around 100 km from here, when his maid alleged in August 2006 that he had raped her at his official flat in Chandigarh.
On her complaint, Chandigarh police registered a case against Barnala. But the woman later turned hostile and told the court that she had never been raped by Barnala and she sustained injuries after she fell from a bicycle on her way to his residence.
Barnala is son of Surjit Singh Barnala, present governor of Tamil Nadu and former chief minister of Punjab.
- Parkash Singh Badal pitted against brother for Lambi seat - Dec 31, 2011
- Akali Dal expels Barnala's son - May 17, 2009
- Top Punjab leaders are worth Rs.250 crore (Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- Akali Dal wants Governor Barnala's sacking - Oct 28, 2010
- Akali Dal ahead in Punjab - Mar 06, 2012
- Relatives find enough place in Badal cabinet - Mar 13, 2012
- New Punjab assembly a 'crorepati' club - Mar 11, 2012
- SGPC sets up panel to save Bhullar - May 30, 2011
- Congress announces 114 names for Punjab poll - Jan 06, 2012
- Bibi Jagir Kaur can vote in presidential poll: EC - Jul 03, 2012
- Amarinder's brother leads list of Punjab Congress rebels - Jan 07, 2012
- Badal stakes claim, invited to form government - Mar 09, 2012
- All about family in Punjab Congress this election - Jan 06, 2012
- Need regulator to monitor placement agencies: Court (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- A millionaire on scooter vs a royal on a Merc! (With Images) - Jan 29, 2012