Former Indian official in UN jailed for graftApril 2nd, 2008 - 9:13 pm ICT by admin
New York, April 2 (IANS) A former United Nations official from India, convicted of accepting money and two heavily discounted Manhattan apartments as bribes for steering $100 million in contracts to a friend’s companies, has been sentenced to eight years in prison. Sanjaya Bahel, 57, chief procurement officer for the UN from 1999 to 2003, was convicted of bribery, wire fraud and mail fraud last June.
The judge Tuesday noted that Bahel had a “very heavy responsibility” of handling procurements for UN peacekeeping forces.
The criminal probe against Bahel began after the UN turned over an 86-page report on his conduct to federal prosecutors in July 2006.
At trial, Bahel’s one-time co-defendant, Nishan Kohli of Miami, testified against him, saying Bahel gave his family inside information about pending contracts to help them secure about two dozen UN contracts. In exchange for his help, Bahel got about 10 percent of the profits.
Kohli has pleaded guilty to bribery and is awaiting sentencing.
Bahel has been behind bars since the UN fired him a year ago. After serving his sentence in the US, he will return to India.
His wife faces deportation now.
- Former UN official from India gets 8 years in jail for graft - Apr 02, 2008
- UN ready to remove 19 Indian vendors from blacklist - Feb 22, 2011
- Chinese official given death for taking bribe - Apr 27, 2012
- Rajat Gupta convicted on insider trading charges (Second lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Chinese official gets death term for graft - Apr 24, 2012
- Leniency sought for Indian-American insider trading witness - Jul 17, 2012
- Antony promises to probe army chief's allegations - Mar 27, 2012
- Karnataka legislator jailed in bribery case - Jun 02, 2012
- Cop convicted for taking bribe told to surrender - Mar 14, 2011
- Chinese smuggler jailed after 12 years on the run - May 19, 2012
- U.S. Army Space and Missile Defense Command engineer pleads guilty to accepting bribes - Jul 22, 2010
- Rajat Gupta convicted on four counts by US jury (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Karnataka BJP legislator jailed in bribery case (Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- Michigan city mayor Herbert Worthy pleads guilty to bribery - Jan 28, 2010
- Attorney Title Center's owner, employee and broker charged in fraud scheme in Florida - Apr 17, 2010