Former IIT student climbs up water tank, threatens suicideJuly 17th, 2008 - 10:04 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 17 (IANS) Kolkata’s twin city Howrah witnessed a high drama Thursday as a former Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)-Kanpur student climbed atop a 80-foot water tank and threatened to commit suicide. Rishab Mohon Agarwal (27), alias Ganesh, was first spotted sitting on the water tank around noon by the Railway Protection Force (RPF) jawans at Tikiapara rail yard, about 10 km from here.
“We first saw the youth sitting on the spiral staircase of the tank. We immediately informed the local police and then the fire brigade,” RPF inspector Arun Kumar told reporters here.
He said it was yet unknown why the youth suddenly climbed atop the tank.
“When we tried to rescue him, he threatened that he will commit suicide and told the fire brigade officials to call his parents immediately. He provided the mobile number of his father, Vipul Mohan Agarwal to the fire officials,” Kumar said.
“After more than six hours of struggle, the youth was finally brought down by two fire brigade officials, Prabir Ghosh and Sukumar Ray, and handed over to his parents,” a police official said.
According to family sources, Rishab was a second-year engineering student of IIT-Kanpur when he suffered some mental trauma in 2001 and went into a state of depression. Later, he was taken to the US for treatment by his parents and stayed there for five years.
“After partial recovery, Rishab, who actually hails from Kanpur, was brought back to his Kolkata residence. He has been living with his family here for the past few years,” Rishab’s uncle B.K. Agarwal said.
- IIT-Kanpur alumni heading city's administration, police - Mar 23, 2012
- 'Jugnu' launch marks watershed in Indian space technology - Oct 25, 2011
- Now, IIT-Kanpur seeks PM's intervention on common test - Jun 11, 2012
- Ex-IITian nabbed for friend's murder - Jan 26, 2012
- Indian varsities slip in global ranking - Sep 06, 2011
- IITs agree to a compromise, but retain hold on test (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Telangana youth ends suicide threat drama - Sep 23, 2011
- IIT-JEE topper aspires to be a civil servant (Second Lead) - May 25, 2011
- IIT Kanpur revolts, to hold separate entrance exam - Jun 08, 2012
- IIT alumni to lobby against new entrance test pattern - Jun 01, 2012
- Som Mittal stays as Nasscom president till 2014 - Jun 25, 2012
- IITs agree to a compromise, but retain hold on test (Second Lead, correcting spelling) - Jun 28, 2012
- IIT-Kanpur barred from taking foreign donations - Sep 03, 2012
- IITs retain hold on JEE examination - Jun 27, 2012
- IIT student in hospital after taking poison - Aug 10, 2009