Former Ferrari reserve driver Bianchi moves to Force IndiaJanuary 27th, 2012 - 9:29 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 27 (IANS) Sahara Force India Friday named Frenchman Jules Bianchi as their reserve driver for the 2012 Formula One season.
The 22-year-old will be integrated in the team’s programme and will participate in a minimum of nine Friday practice sessions during the Grand Prix weekends. Bianchi will get his first run in the VJM05 during pre-season testing next month.
Bianchi finished third in the 2011 GP2 Series besides fulfilling the role of a Ferrari reserve driver.
“I am obviously excited to join Sahara Force India and the chance to get track time during race weekends is an important step for me. Being regularly in a current car is the best way to learn quickly and I hope it will put me in a strong position to one day move into a race seat. The next few months will be really exciting as I get to know the team, see how they work, and prepare for my time in the car,” said Bianchi in a Force India release.
On Bianchi’s appointment, team principal Vijay Mallya said: “We always keep an eye on young, talented drivers and his performance in GP2 certainly impressed us all. By giving Jules the opportunity to be part of our 2012 campaign, we continue to demonstrate our commitment to young drivers.”
Scot Paul di Resta and German Nico Hulkenberg will do the racing duties for the Silverstone-based team.
- Force India launch 2012 car - Feb 03, 2012
- Force India suffer hydraulic problem at Mugello test - May 03, 2012
- Force India pick Max Chilton for Abu Dhabi young driver test - Nov 08, 2011
- Di Resta eighth fastest after 'intense' day of testing - Feb 24, 2012
- Force India retain di Resta for 2012, drop Sutil - Dec 17, 2011
- Force India to end drivers' suspense before Abu Dhabi - Oct 29, 2011
- Force India drivers seek faster car to match rivals - Mar 27, 2012
- Di Resta predicts tougher fight between midfield teams - Mar 15, 2012
- Force India's Di Resta feels making Q3 will be tough - Mar 23, 2012
- Podium not in sight of Force India, says di Resta - Sep 06, 2012
- Have a tough decision to make on drivers: Mallya - Oct 30, 2011
- Force India finish 5th and 6th, skip second practice - Apr 20, 2012
- Force India target fifth place after Valencia show - Jun 27, 2012
- Force India optimistic about chances in Hungarian GP - Jul 24, 2012
- Hamilton takes pole in Malaysian GP, Force India disappoint - Mar 24, 2012
Tags: appointment, bianchi, ferrari, formula one, frenchman, gp2 series, grand prix, India, london jan, nico hulkenberg, practice sessions, race weekends, resta, sahara, scot, talented drivers, team principal, track time, young drivers