Former England fast bowler held for drug smugglingDecember 9th, 2008 - 9:12 pm ICT by IANS
London, Dec 9 (IANS) Former England pacer Chris Lewis has been charged with drug smuggling. Lewis, 40, was arrested by UK Border Agency (UKBA) staff at Gatwick when four kg of cocaine worth £200,000 were found during a routine search of luggage at St Lucia. The drugs were in a liquid form hidden in the tins, said an official.
Lewis will appear before Crawley magistrates’ court Tuesday.
The fast bowler, who played 32 Tests and 53 one-day internationals in the 1990s, was held along with Chad Kirnon, 26, a basketball player. They were questioned by Customs officials and then charged.
“They had arrived on a flight from St Lucia. UKBA officials were carrying out checks on the baggage from that flight. During the course of that search they discovered the cocaine in fruit tins,” a spokesman for the UKBA was quoted as saying in The Times.
Lewis took 66 wickets in one-day internationals and 93 wickets in Tests.
- Former UK cricketer Lewis to appear before court on drug smuggling charges - Dec 09, 2008
- Lewis in court for smuggling cocaine - May 12, 2009
- Ex-Test ace Lewis 'shocked over cocaine-related detention - May 16, 2009
- Ex-England cricketer jailed for drug smuggling - May 20, 2009
- Ex-England cricketer Lewis 'smuggled 3kg of cocaine in fruit and veg tins' - May 12, 2009
- Dead pigeons, boa constrictor among top weird finds at UK airports - Sep 03, 2010
- Power cut hits London's Gatwick airport - Mar 10, 2012
- Delta employees arrested in Detroit airport for international drug smuggling - Apr 29, 2011
- One held after small blast on Miami airport tarmac - Dec 29, 2010
- Man with 250 rare animals caught in Argentina - Dec 27, 2011
- Pilot arrested in Madrid for smuggling cocaine - Aug 24, 2011
- Bravo-Ramdin-Rampaul-Barath return boosts T&T; - Mar 29, 2012
- Four Australians taking $1 mn cash, steroids to Bangladesh - Aug 02, 2012
- 20 kg cocaine seized at Hungary airport - Mar 14, 2012
- US woman arrested on charges of cocaine smuggling - Dec 25, 2010