Former eBay CEO to run for California governorFebruary 10th, 2009 - 6:52 am ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, Feb 10 (Xinhua) Former eBay chief executive officer Meg Whitman has said that she will run for California governor to replace Arnold Schwarzenegger in 2010.
“California faces challenges unlike any other time in its history - a weak and faltering economy, massive job losses, and an exploding state budget deficit,” Whitman said in a written statement Monday.
“California is better than this, and I refuse to stand by and watch it fail,” she said.
Whitman announced she was forming an exploratory committee and hiring a team of more than two-dozen advisors, including several veterans of Schwarzenegger campaigns, for the elections.
Former Governor Pete Wilson was named Whitman’s campaign chairman.
Whitman’s announcement would set off a battle between Silicon Valley moguls for the 2010 Republican nomination, analysts said.
Whitman’s chief rival for the party nomination is state Insurance Commissioner Steve Poizner, also a high-tech tycoon. Another Republican exploring a run is a former Silicon Valley congressman, Tom Campbell, now an economics professor at California University in Berkeley.
On the Democratic side, Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa is weighing whether to join the race after his likely re-election next month. US Senator Dianne Feinstein has not ruled out a run for the Democratic nomination.
- US states hold party elections - Jun 09, 2010
- Is Meg Whitman going to be named as CEO of HP? - Sep 23, 2011
- California GOP gubernatorial candidate Whitman employed undocumented worker for nine years - Sep 30, 2010
- Former governor Jerry Brown aims to replace Schwarzenegger - Mar 03, 2010
- Democrats Rule In California With Jerry Brown - Nov 03, 2010
- Chris Christie conforms a heckler at Meg Whitman's campaign event - Sep 25, 2010
- GOP Candidate Meg Whitman Accused Of Having An Illegal Immigrant As Maid - Sep 30, 2010
- Meg Whitman Accused Of Illegally Employing Undocumented Worker - Oct 01, 2010
- Monica Lewinsky scandal: Brown apologizes for mocking Clinton - Sep 14, 2010
- Medvedev accepts Schwarzenegger invite for skiing - Jan 04, 2011
- As America votes, Nikki Haley poised to win South Carolina - Nov 02, 2010
- California Elections Result In Two Women With Tickets To The Top - Jun 09, 2010
- Schwarzenegger mistakenly votes for two California Senate primary candidates - Jun 09, 2010
- Jerry Brown And Meg Whitman Had Their First Debate - Sep 30, 2010
- I'd consider a post in the Obama Administration, says Arnie - Dec 19, 2010
Tags: angeles mayor antonio villaraigosa, antonio villaraigosa, arnold schwarzenegger, congressman tom campbell, democratic nomination, dianne feinstein, ebay, ebay ceo, economics professor, exploratory committee, governor pete wilson, los angeles mayor antonio villaraigosa, massive job losses, mayor antonio villaraigosa, meg whitman, party nomination, republican nomination, senator dianne feinstein, state budget deficit, state insurance commissioner