Former Delhi legislator sent to police custodyJune 18th, 2009 - 8:40 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 18 (IANS) A city court Thursday sent former Delhi legislator Ranbir Singh Kharb, accused of duping hundreds of investors of Rs.4.75 crore in a chit fund scam, to seven-day police custody.
Metropolitan Magistrate Devender Nair accepted the plea of police that Kharb’s custodial interrogation was necessary to establish his and his wife Anita’s involvement in the scam.
Kharb, a former legislator from Najafgarh, was arrested Wednesday by the Economic Offences Wing (EOW) of Delhi Police from Sonepat (Haryana) after the high court dismissed his anticipatory bail.
He had launched a company, Jyoti Fair Finance, in 1998 and allegedly duped hundreds of people in West Delhi of around Rs.4.75 crore by promising to double their money in three years.
Seeking his custody, police told the court that his wife, a co-accused, has been absconding.
Kharb, however, opposed the police contention and said they had failed to collect evidence in the period since the case was registered in 2006.
Scores of investors, who lost money in Kharb’s scheme, were also present in the court hall and shouted slogans against him.
- Former Delhi legislator's wife arrested for fraud - Jun 27, 2009
- Court seeks response from Tihar jail on former legislator's plea - Jun 29, 2009
- Former Delhi legislator, wife arrested for Rs.20 bn fraud - Jun 17, 2009
- Defence academy job scam: CBI arrests another accused (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Kanda sent to 7 days police custody (Lead) - Aug 18, 2012
- Delhi legislator's attackers sent to police custody - Jun 04, 2012
- Hero Group official held in Rs.300 crore Citibank fraud (Third Lead) - Jan 03, 2011
- 2G case: Morani's bail plea dismissed, arrested (Lead) - May 30, 2011
- Cheating accused sent to five days' police custody - Feb 16, 2012
- Geetika suicide: Chaddha sent to a day's judicial custody - Aug 20, 2012
- Kanda sent to 7 days police custody (Third Lead) - Aug 18, 2012
- Two Kerala builders surrender, sent to judicial custody - Jun 18, 2011
- Top Hero Group official asked to join Citibank fraud probe - Dec 31, 2010
- Cineyug director Morani seeks anticipatory bail - May 02, 2011
- Kanda's anticipatory bail plea decision Friday - Aug 16, 2012