Former Croatian general gets seven years for war crimesMay 30th, 2008 - 9:02 pm ICT by admin
Zagreb, May 30 (DPA) A Croatian court Friday sentenced a retired general to seven years in prison for war crimes against Serb civilians during Croatia’s 1991-95 war of independence. Mirko Norac, 40, currently serving a 12-year prison term for a separate war crimes conviction, was found guilty of crimes during the so-called Medak Pocket offensive in 1993 against rebel Serbs.
After the sentencing by a court in the capital Zagreb, his lawyers said they plan to appeal to Croatia’s supreme court.
Another retired Croatian general, Rahim Ademi, was acquitted Friday in the Medak Pocket case.
Norac and Ademi are the highest-ranking Croatian officers to face war crimes trials in their homeland.
Both pleaded not guilty to charges that they failed to stop soldiers under their command from killing 23 Serb civilians and five prisoners of war and burning down their homes.
Their trial began in June 2007 after The Hague tribunal for war crimes in former Yugoslavia handed over the case to Croatia.
- Yugoslavian leader Ante Markovic dies - Nov 28, 2011
- War crimes suspect Hadzic extradited to The Hague - Jul 22, 2011
- Mladic arrives in The Hague to face war crimes charges - Jun 01, 2011
- Croatian protesters continue to challenge government - Mar 01, 2011
- Ratko Mladic transferred from prison hospital to cell - Jun 06, 2011
- Seven Bosnian Serbs convicted for Srebrenica massacre (Lead) - Jun 10, 2010
- UN court convicts seven Bosnian Serbs over Srebrenica massacre - Jun 10, 2010
- Bosnia war witness says paramilitary raped Muslims - Sep 07, 2012
- Karadzic denies genocide charges in Bosnia - Jun 12, 2012
- Former Nazi dies in Austria - Jun 21, 2011
- Former Liberian president jailed for 50 years - May 30, 2012
- Ex-Liberian president stashed $400 mn: WikiLeaks - Feb 12, 2011
- Croatian police clash with protesters - Feb 27, 2011
- Milosevic confidante jailed in Serbia for embezzlement - Dec 28, 2010
- 100 skeletons found in lake bordering Serbia, Bosnia - Oct 27, 2010
Tags: conviction, croatia, croatian, former yugoslavia, hague tribunal, lawyers, medak pocket, norac, pocket case, prison term, prisoners of war, rahim ademi, rebel serbs, retired general, serb civilians, seven years, supreme court, war crimes trials, war of independence, zagreb