Former Charlotte Hornets coach Dick Harter diesMarch 14th, 2012 - 4:16 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, March 14 (IANS) Former coach of NBA’s Charlotte Hornets Dick Harter died at at his home in Hilton Head, South Carolina. He was 81.
Harter, who took his only NBA head coaching job in 1988, guided the expansion of Charlotte Hornets, now known as the New Orleans Hornets. He passed away Monday night.
As an NBA assistant coach, Harter served on the staffs of star coaches Chuck Daly at Detroit, Pat Riley with the New York Knicks, P.J. Carlesimo at Portland and Larry Bird besides other two coaches at the Indiana Pacers.
“It is tough, but I had a lot of great times with Dick,” said Bird, now the president of the Pacers’ basketball operations.”
“It was an honour to be coached on two separate occasions by one of the best defensive minds the NBA has seen,” said former Pacers star Reggie Miller.
- Miami Heat president Riley gets lifetime NBA coaching award - Jun 20, 2012
- Knicks beat Pacers - Mar 17, 2012
- Jeremy stars in Knicks' win over Kings - Feb 16, 2012
- Knicks end six-game losing streak after D'Antoni's resignation - Mar 15, 2012
- Trail Blazers fire coach McMillan - Mar 16, 2012
- Miami Heat win second NBA title - Jun 22, 2012
- US basketball professionals train Myanmar players - Aug 28, 2012
- Former NBA Star Maurice Lucas Dies After Losing Battle With Bladder Cancer - Nov 02, 2010
- Evans wins slam dunk, Love shoots down three-point contest - Feb 26, 2012
- Chris Paul No More Interested To Point Guard New Orleans Hornets - Jul 22, 2010
- NBA side Washington Wizards sack coach Saunders - Jan 25, 2012
- Pat Riley: Man Behind The Big Trio - Jul 09, 2010
- NBA 2K12 to be available on PS3, Xbox 360, PS2, Wii & PC - Oct 05, 2011
- Kobe Bryant to lead U.S. basketball team at Olympics - Jun 24, 2008
- Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Lance Stephenson Taken Into Custody For Assaulting Girlfriend - Aug 16, 2010
Tags: assistant coach, basketball operations, charlotte hornets, chuck daly, coach dick, coaching job, dick harter, former coach, hilton head south carolina, hornets, indiana pacers, larry bird, monday night, new orleans hornets, new york knicks, p j carlesimo, pat riley, reggie miller, staffs, star coaches