Former bureaucrat Runu Ghosh to be sentenced FridayMay 13th, 2009 - 7:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 13 (IANS) The quantum of punishment for Runu Ghosh, former deputy director general in the telecom ministry who has been convicted for corruption, will be pronounced Friday, a city court said Wednesday.
The court reserved the order for Friday after hearing arguments on the quantum of sentence in which the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) had demanded stringent punishment for her.
Ghosh, a former Indian Audit and Accounts Service officer, was Tuesday held guilty by the court of amassing disproportionate assets to the tune of Rs.2.27 million and can face imprisonment up to seven years.
According to the prosecution, she acquired the wealth between 1992 and 1996 while working as deputy director general (licence and finance) in the Telecom Department during the tenure of then telecommunications minister Sukhram.
“She was a highly-placed bureaucrat of the country and was expected to maintain the dignity of the office. But she abused her official position to acquire disproportionate assets,” the CBI counsel submitted in court, demanding maximum punishment for Ghosh.
Advocate Satish Tamta, appearing for Ghosh, filed a written submission in which he pleaded that the court take a lenient view as she had already faced 12 years of trial and has been out of a job since 2003.
Tamta also submitted that the court should consider her medical condition while deciding the punishment as she is a heart patient and suffers from hyper-tension.
Ghosh’s conviction for amassing illegal wealth comes two months after Sukhram was held guilty for acquiring disproportionate assets worth Rs.24.5 million in cash and was sentenced to three years in prison.
In a separate case, Ghosh, along with Sukhram and Ramarao, managing director of the Hyderabad-based firm Advance Radio Masts (ARM) Ltd, had been convicted by a Delhi court in July 2002 for causing over Rs.16.8 million loss to the state exchequer by awarding a contract to the firm.
Her appeal against a two-year jail term is pending before the Delhi High Court.
- Supreme Court grants bail to Sukh Ram, two others (Second Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- Runu Ghosh gets three years imprisonment in disproportionate assets case - May 15, 2009
- Former bureaucrat Runu Ghosh convicted for corruption - May 12, 2009
- Former bureaucrat given three years' jail sentence for graft - May 15, 2009
- Court convicts Sukhram in 1996 telecom case - Nov 18, 2011
- Sukh Ram's surrender put off by court till Friday (Third Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- High court suspends conviction of former bureaucrat - Jul 09, 2009
- Case against Sukhram referred to larger high court bench - Sep 25, 2009
- High court takes up Sukhram appeal, asks registry for evidence - Oct 09, 2009
- Sukh Ram's surrender in court put off till Friday (Second Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Sukh Ram's three-year jail term upheld in graft case (Lead) - Dec 21, 2011
- Court convicts Sukh Ram in 1996 telecom case - Nov 18, 2011
- Supreme Court extends Sukh Ram's interim bail (Lead) - Jan 16, 2012
- Graft case: Apex court grants bail to Sukh Ram, two others (Third Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- Supreme Court extends Sukh Ram's interim bail - Jan 16, 2012