Former BJP MP shot dead, driver injuredNovember 15th, 2010 - 4:57 pm ICT by IANS
Meerut, Nov 15 (IANS) Former Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MP Amarpal Singh, who had recently joined the Congress, was Monday shot dead by unidentified gunmen in Uttar Pradesh’s Meerut district, police said.
Amarpal Singh, a three-time BJP MP, was killed in Mawana town, police said, adding that his driver was also injured by the assailants who managed to escape.
“The car-borne criminals first hit the MP’s Scorpio car from behind. As the MP came out of his vehicle, the criminals shot him dead and escaped after assaulting the MP’s driver,” Deputy Superintendent of Police Akhlakh Ahmad told reporters.
“According to the driver, who is being treated at a hospital, there were around five-six criminals in the car,” he added.
Police are yet to trace the criminals or establish any motive behind the crime.
“Preliminary investigations indicate that it was a well-planned murder. We cannot rule out political rivalry behind the incident,” said Ahmad.
At the time of the incident, Singh was going to his brick kiln on the outskirts of Mawana.
- Politicians back shutdown to protest former MP's murder - Nov 18, 2010
- Government doctor killed in Uttar Pradesh - Mar 09, 2011
- Three shot dead on Uttar Pradesh highway - Jul 03, 2012
- Rs.33 lakh looted from bank van (Lead, changing dateline) - Mar 31, 2012
- Rs.33 lakh looted from bank van - Mar 31, 2012
- BJP leader, brother shot dead in Uttar Pradesh - Mar 03, 2011
- Cop shot dead by criminals - Jul 06, 2011
- Police gun down criminal - Jan 05, 2011
- 40 bonded labourers rescued in Uttar Pradesh - Nov 26, 2011
- Trooper kills colleague, wife - Sep 24, 2011
- Two killed in Haryana hospital firing, four cops suspended (Lead) - May 19, 2011
- Road rage: Three judges attacked in Delhi (Lead) - May 17, 2012
- Meerut realtor killed - Jun 17, 2011
- 70 bonded labourers freed in Uttar Pradesh - Apr 29, 2011
- Kidnapper holding girl shot dead - Aug 12, 2012
Tags: ahmad, assailants, bharatiya janata party, bjp, brick kiln, congress, criminals, deputy superintendent, district police, investigations, meerut district, motive, mp, outskirts, political rivalry, s driver, scorpio, town police, unidentified gunmen, uttar pradesh