Former athlete Pinki Pramanik gets bail (Lead)July 10th, 2012 - 11:21 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 10 (IANS) A West Bengal court Tuesday granted bail to Asiad gold medallist Pinki Pramanik, who had been in custody since June 15 for alleged rape, the ex-athlete’s counsel said, adding the judge had accepted the argument of her being incapable of committing the crime.
“Pinki was granted bail today by the court district judge North 24 Parganas on a personal bond of Rs.5,000,” Tuhin Roy, the counsel, told IANS.
The district and sessions judge (North 24 Parganas) while granting bail to Pinki, based on her medical reports, held that she was physically incapable of committing rape, Roy said.
He said that the court accepted their argument that the petitioner women who had alleged that Pramanik had raped her, was in a live in relationship with the former athlete for nearly three years. So the relationship between the two was consensual in nature.
Pinki was granted bail on a personal bond of Rs.5,000 after being in custody for 25 days.
Meanwhile, the report of a chromosomal test to determine Pramanik’s gender was submitted before the court by the SSKM Hospital. An 11-member medical board was constituted to conduct the tests.
A four-member team of West Bengal Commission for Women led by its chairperson Sunanda Mukherjee met the former athlete in the prison.
Keeping her in prison without any woman police personnel and referring to her as male in police records were instances of violation of her human rights, said Mukherjee.
Pramanik was arrested June 14 and remanded to 14 days’ judicial custody by a court June 15 after the athlete’s live-in partner, a divorcee and a mother of one, filed a police complaint accusing the athlete of being a male who repeatedly “raped and tortured” her.
Subsequent to the arrest, Pramanik was taken to a private nursing home for a medical check-up where the test reports claimed that the athlete was indeed a male.
Pramanik, however, claimed innocence and said it was a conspiracy.
Pramanik, who retired from athletics three years ago, won gold in the 4×400 metres relay at the 2006 Asian Games in Doha in Qatar. The runner was a silver medallist at the Melbourne Commonwealth Games the same year.
- Former athlete Pinki Pramanik gets bail - Jul 10, 2012
- Pinki released from jail, alleges being framed (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Pinki alleges harassment in police custody (Second Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- New case filed against Pinki Pramanik - Jul 13, 2012
- Pinki denied bail, remanded to further judicial custody - Jun 29, 2012
- Athlete Pinki undergoes gender test again in Kolkata - Jun 25, 2012
- Athlete Pinki's blood sample taken for chromosomal test - Jul 02, 2012
- Pinki undergoes gender test, medical board seeks more time (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- MMS showing Pinki undergoing gender test goes viral online - Jul 02, 2012
- Pinki reinstated in Railway job, joins duty - Aug 10, 2012
- Asiad gold medallist sent to judicial custody for 'rape' (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Pinki undergoes sex test - Jun 19, 2012
- Pinki undergoes medical test, result Tuesday - Jun 18, 2012
- It's a conspiracy, says family of arrested Asiad medallist (Second lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Pinki files theft complaint against live-in partner - Jul 15, 2012
Tags: athlete, chairperson, district judge, divorcee, gold medallist, innocence, judicial custody, june 14, medical board, medical check, medical reports, member team, nursing home, personal bond, petitioner, police complaint, police records, sunanda, west bengal, woman police