Foreign tourist arrivals in Himachal doubles in 5 yearsMarch 11th, 2012 - 5:40 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 11 (IANS) The number of foreign tourists visiting Himachal Pradesh has doubled in the past five years, the state govenment said Sunday.
“The number of the international travelers has rapidly increased from 2.07 lakh in 2005 to 4.85 lakhs in 2011,” the statement said.
The number of international tourist is likely to exceed 500,000 in 2012.
While 4.53 lakh foreign tourists flocked to the state in 2010, their number increased to 4.85 in 2011.
The top three countries from where tourists come to Himachal Pradesh are Britain, the US and France, followed by Australia.
The state hosted 1.60 lakh foreign tourists from the four countries in 2011.
Shimla, Kullu and Kangra have emerged as popular tourist destinations “where the constant influx of people doesn’t limit itself to the usual summer and holiday high seasons,” said the statement.
A total of 1.38 lakh foreign tourists visited Kullu while Shimla received 1.34 lakh foreign tourist in 2011. Kangra received 98,962 foreign tourists.
Shimla, Manali, Dharmshalal, Mcleodganj, Kasauli Chail, Dalhousie, Keylong, Palampur remained top most visited hill station by estimated four lakh international tourists during the year 2011.
“The department has chalked out plan to increase the average stay of tourists from the present two and half day by at least a day to trigger the spending by at least 20 percent,” said Dr. Arun Sharma, director of tourism and civil aviation.
- Snowfall in Himachal - Nov 18, 2010
- Homestay high: Himachal expects 100,000 weekend tourists (With Image) - Aug 12, 2011
- Jagson Airlines to operate daily flights to Himachal - Jan 18, 2011
- Himachal hotels booked for weekend bonanza - Aug 18, 2011
- More snow, Shimla records season's lowest temperature - Jan 09, 2012
- Shivering in Delhi? Head to sunny Himachal hills - Jan 07, 2011
- Evening showers cool Shimla - May 30, 2011
- Warming Himachal hills portend rains? - Jul 03, 2012
- Himachal records 16 percent increase in tourists - Jan 10, 2011
- Good Friday weekend drives tourists to Himachal - Apr 22, 2011
- Himachal's snowy peaks pull in tourists - Dec 12, 2011
- Taj to set up resort hotel near Shimla - Feb 18, 2011
- Rains in store in Himachal Pradesh - Jun 04, 2012
- Himachal towns get snow after 35 years (Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
- Himachal likely to get 50,000 weekend tourists - Aug 09, 2012
Tags: arun sharma, australia, chail, civil aviation, high seasons, influx, international tourist, international tourists, international travelers, kangra, kullu, lakh, lakhs, march 11, New Delhi, palampur, state govenment, tourism, tourist arrivals, tourist destinations