Foreign currency case: Police names Karmapa in chargesheetDecember 7th, 2011 - 9:25 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Dec 7 (IANS) Tibetan religious head and the 17th Karmapa Ogyen Trinley Dorje’s name was Wednesday included in a chargesheet filed by the police in a Himachal Pradesh court on the seizure of foreign currency worth Rs.70 million (over $1 million) from a monastery in January.
The Karmapa has been charged under penal provisions related to conspiracy. He is the 10th accused named in the chargesheet, filed before Una Chief Judicial Magistrate Rajesh Tomar.
Superintendent of Police Sumedha Diwedi told IANS that the court would now decide whether charges could be framed against the Karmapa.
“We are awaiting sanction from the central government for prosecuting the accused under the Foreign Contribution (Regulation) Act (FCRA),” she said, adding the offences under the law would be added in the charge sheet later.
The Karmapa is the spiritual head of the Karma Kagyu school, one of the four sects of Buddhism. He is considered the third most important Tibetan religious head after the Dalai Lama and the Panchen Lama.
Police Jan 28 recovered currencies of 26 countries, including 120,197 Chinese yuan and around Rs.5.3 million in Indian currency, from the Karmapa’s Gyuto Tantric University and Monastery on the outskirts of Dharamsala, the seat of the Tibetan government-in-exile.
It was after the seizure of Rs.1 crore meant for land purchase that police conducted searches at the monastery and recovered the currency.
Subsequently, seven people were arrested. Among them was the Karmapa’s aide Rubgi Chosang, also known as Shakti Lama. All seven are out of jail now on bail.
The Karmapa’s office told investigating agencies that the money was collection of donations from the spiritual head’s followers.
Fast-track court Judge R.K. Sharma in Una directed police in September to hand over the seized currency of Rs.70 million to the central government’s enforcement directorate (ED).
- Karmapa cash row: Police to file charge sheet - Sep 16, 2011
- Himachal court summons Karmapa over currency row - Feb 16, 2012
- Himachal to drop charges against Karmapa (Second Lead) - Apr 24, 2012
- Currency row: Karmapa office assures cooperation - Dec 09, 2011
- Himachal to drop charges against Karmapa (Lead) - Apr 24, 2012
- Currency row: Himachal to drop charges against Karmapa - Apr 24, 2012
- Karmapa's aide gets bail in Himachal - Mar 16, 2011
- Karmapa's office hands over $150,000 to ED - Mar 19, 2011
- Court drops charges against Karmapa in currency case (Lead) - May 21, 2012
- Karmapa not to appear in Himachal court, says aide - Mar 06, 2012
- Court drops charges against Karmapa in currency case - May 21, 2012
- India allows Karmapa to visit US - Jul 06, 2011
- Karmapa's aide records statement with ED - Mar 21, 2011
- Karmapa's monastery raided, aide arrested - Jan 27, 2011
- From Chinese agent to innocent monk - flipflops on Karmapa - Apr 25, 2012
Tags: 1 crore, 17th karmapa, chinese yuan, currency worth, dalai lama, enforcement directorate, foreign currency, gyuto, indian currency, judicial magistrate, karma kagyu school, panchen lama, penal provisions, r k sharma, religious head, sects of buddhism, spiritual head, sumedha, tibetan government in exile, trinley dorje