Foreign carriers may soon buy stake in Indian airlinesJanuary 7th, 2009 - 10:03 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 7 (IANS) Foreign airlines may soon be allowed to buy equity stake in domestic carriers, a senior government official said here Wednesday.”We are in talks with the industry stakeholders. We have to first evaluate how much additional investment we need in the form of FDI in the aviation sector,” Aviation Secretary M. Madhavan Nambiar said at the Indo-US Chambers of Commerce summit.
Though foreign investment is allowed up to 49 percent in Indian air operators, foreign carriers are still barred from owning stake in domestic carriers.
Many foreign carriers, however, have shown interest in owning stake in Indian airlines.
Nambiar added that the government would sign a bilateral safety agreement with the US next year, which would help the two countries share their technologies.
The Bilateral Aviation Safety Agreement (BASA) is expected to help Indian companies market their products more effectively in global level, an aviation ministry official said.
- FDI reform lifted mood in aviation industry: Ajit Singh - Sep 21, 2012
- FDI in airlines allowed, foreign airlines welcome move - Sep 14, 2012
- Decision on aviation FDI deferred for next cabinet meet - Apr 12, 2012
- Indian aviation sector in critical phase: IATA (Lead) - Mar 15, 2012
- Lowering of sales tax on jet fuel required: Assocham - Dec 29, 2011
- Focus on rationalising sales tax on ATF: CII - Feb 05, 2012
- FDI in aviation may give flight to domestic airlines - Jan 22, 2012
- Singapore Airlines welcomes FDI reform - Sep 20, 2012
- Cabinet may consider FDI by foreign airlines before budget - Jan 31, 2012
- PM holds discussions with private airline chiefs - Nov 26, 2011
- Indian aviation sector in critical phase: IATA - Mar 15, 2012
- PM to meet airline chiefs Saturday (Lead) - Nov 25, 2011
- 'Proposal for FDI in domestic carriers sent to commerce ministry' - Feb 23, 2012
- Budget proposes allows airlines to access foreign funds - Mar 16, 2012
- Aviation stocks rally on CCEA meet clearing FDI in airlines - Sep 14, 2012