Force India’s Hulkenberg sets second fastest time in BarcelonaFebruary 22nd, 2012 - 6:40 pm ICT by IANS
Barcelona, Feb 22 (IANS) Sahara Force India’s Nico Hulkenberg drove 97 laps on the first day of the second pre-season testing here, finishing second fastest to compatriot and defending champion Sebastian Vettel of Red Bull.
Hulkenberg, only in his second full-day Tuesday in the car after the first testing in Jerez, clocked 1:23.440 for his quickest time to Vettel’s 1:23.265 at the Circuit de Catalunya.
The German, who replaced compatriot Adrian Sutil for the forthcoming season, topped the times sheets for most part of the morning session before Vettel came up with his best lap later in the day. The double World Champion was out for 79 laps.
Hulkenberg said he was satisfied with the performance of the VJM05.
“Once again it is good to do so many laps. It was only my second day in the car and I am still bedding in and getting used to things, but after each run I felt a bit more comfortable,” said Hulkenberg.
“We started with some aero runs and more data gathering this morning, and then moved to longer runs in the afternoon. The car feels consistent and the drivability is good so I feel positive heading into tomorrow.”
The 24-year-old added that he was surprised by the balance of the car.
“It was pretty good, surprisingly well. Maybe it suits a little bit better here than Jerez. I am also getting better. It is my second day, as Jerez was my first day after a long time out of the car. Each day, each kilometre is better.”
Hulkenberg will be making way for teammate Pauli di Resta for the second half of the testing Thursday and Friday.
- Di Resta eighth fastest after 'intense' day of testing - Feb 24, 2012
- Di Resta third fastest as second pre-season test ends - Feb 26, 2012
- Force India suffer hydraulic problem at Mugello test - May 03, 2012
- Force India end mid-season test with full day of running - May 04, 2012
- New Force India car takes to track - Feb 11, 2011
- Force India second fastest in Valencia - Feb 04, 2011
- Force India fourth quickest in Jerez testing - Dec 03, 2009
- Hamilton wins Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, both Force Indias in top-10 - Nov 13, 2011
- Weather affects Formula One testing - Feb 19, 2010
- Di Resta, Hulkenberg back Narain over Vettel's 'idiot' remark - Mar 27, 2012
- Force India finish 5th and 6th, skip second practice - Apr 20, 2012
- Narain ninth quickest in Barcelona test - Feb 19, 2011
- Karthikeyan goes quicker on second day of Valencia test - Feb 03, 2011
- Rosberg wins maiden F1 race in China, Force India draw blank - Apr 15, 2012
- Force India finish out of points at British GP - Jul 08, 2012
Tags: adrian sutil, bedding, circuit de catalunya, compatriot, defending champion, double world champion, drivability, fastest time, force india, forthcoming season, kilometre, laps, morning session, nico hulkenberg, red bull, resta, sahara, sebastian vettel, teammate, time out