Force India parts ways with FerrariNovember 8th, 2008 - 12:09 am ICT by IANS
Chennai, Nov 7 (IANS) Following the “amicable termination” of the Ferrari contract, the Force India Formula One Team has taken yet another step forward with its 2009 revamp plans.Force India terminated its contract with Ferrari for supply of engine with one more year still to run. The reasons for the termination were not disclosed.
Meanwhile, Force India’s senior management structure will be streamlined with immediate effect, according to a press release.
Vijay Mallya will assume the responsibilities of Team Principal, in addition to his position as chairman, to play a greater role in the direction of the team, assisted by Robert Fernley, director of Force India, the release stated.
In a reorganisation of the team’s technical department, Mark Smith, design director, and James Key, technical director, will share entire responsibility for the design of the VJM02 and future cars.
As a result of the restructure, Colin Kolles, Mike Gascoyne and Patrick Missling, formerly corporate and business director, will no longer be a direct part of the team’s design, manufacture, race and test operations, according to the release.
Mallya said: “Force India is my most difficult project to date and it has become clear that it requires more direct input from my side and greater performance accountability. We have come a long way this season, but we need more and that requires some radical reorganisation of the management structure to ensure the maximum productivity.”
“I would like to thank Colin Kolles for his tireless efforts in keeping such a small team alive and to Mike Gascoyne for bringing his wealth of technical expertise. Both have played an instrumental part in making the team what it is today.”
“On Monday, Nov 10, I will announce the new Technical direction of the team as well as the appointment of a new Chief Operating Officer who will assume overall responsibility for our Silverstone and Brackley facilities, Race and Test operations,” Mallya said.
- Force India confident of good showing in Shanghai - Apr 11, 2011
- Karthikeyan goes quicker on second day of Valencia test - Feb 03, 2011
- Force India launch 2012 car - Feb 03, 2012
- Former Ferrari reserve driver Bianchi moves to Force India - Jan 27, 2012
- This year brings more optimism for Force India: Mallya - Feb 09, 2011
- Force India to appeal against Aerolab - Mar 27, 2012
- Former F1 driver Perez-Sala named new HRT team principal - Dec 15, 2011
- Hamilton wins Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, both Force Indias in top-10 - Nov 13, 2011
- Chandhok set for Formula One - Feb 26, 2010
- Ferrari unveils diamond-encrusted biography, costliest ever - Dec 01, 2011
- Force India tie up with McLaren - Nov 10, 2008
- Karthikeyan to test new car only a week before Bahrain opener - Jan 26, 2011
- Force India target fifth place after Valencia show - Jun 27, 2012
- Karthikeyan returns to Formula One - Jan 06, 2011
- Beating Mercedes has been the highlight so far, says Mallya - Aug 04, 2011