For Her Majesty, a private piano recital from CondoleezzaDecember 2nd, 2008 - 1:09 pm ICT by IANS
London, Dec 2 (IANS) What happens when the most powerful American woman meets the most powerful British woman? Music flows.US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice stopped over in London on her last political tour before she leaves office in January and met Queen Elizabeth in Buckingham Palace Monday ahead of her talks with the British government on terrorism issues, including the Mumbai strikes.
Rice told the queen of a long-standing wish: to play the piano for Her Majesty in a private recital.
The queen agreed. And Rice played from Brahms. The queen listened to part of the performance and gave Rice a copy of the recording as her parting gift.
Many may not know that Rice is a concert-level pianist who had originally planned a musical career until politics swept her in another direction altogether.
She started playing the piano as a child. She originally enrolled at university to study the subject before switching to political science. At 15, she performed Mozart’s Piano Concerto in D minor with the Denver Symphony Orchestra in the US, as a prize for winning a student competition.
She was taught the instrument by her mother, who was a music teacher, and regularly performs private chamber music recitals with four friends, leading to her being described, in the words of The Telegraph, as the world’s most prominent amateur musician.
- Aretha Franklin to perform with Condoleezza Rice - Jul 02, 2010
- Lankan performers in India with classical repertoire - Aug 21, 2011
- Child prodigy performs with Mexican philharmonic - Mar 06, 2012
- Some give, some take for Mexican pianists in India - Nov 20, 2010
- Condoleezza Rice plays private piano recital for the Queen - Dec 02, 2008
- Royal Philharmonic Orchestra helps science by playing to plants - Mar 24, 2011
- 'Brief Encounter' theme is UK's favourite classic - Apr 26, 2011
- Victoria's piano back on display in Kolkata - Jun 21, 2012
- Previously unknown Mozart piece performed in Austria - Mar 24, 2012
- Mozart's symphonies grow 'sweeter bananas, tastier sake' - Nov 26, 2010
- Aretha Franklin, Condoleezza Rice perform for charity concert - Jul 29, 2010
- Tagore in symphony with Bach and Beethoven - in Germany - Apr 17, 2012
- Austrian composer Mozart's music to get rainbow cast in Delhi - Jan 02, 2012
- Rice to play piano at Colorado music festival - Aug 02, 2008
- 53rd Annual Grammy Awards Winners List - Feb 14, 2011