For Cummins, it is all happening faster than he dreamedSeptember 30th, 2011 - 7:17 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Sep 30 (IANS) Eighteen-year-old pace sensation Patrick Cummins is the youngest player in the ongoing Champions League T20 event in India and after a handful of first-class appearances he is in Australia’s squads for shorter versions to tour South Africa. The New South Wales (NSW) speedster says it is all happening faster than he dreamed.
Cummins, who was a school kid till last year and played the sport on weekends, has made it to the national side just over eight months after playing his first senior interstate game.
“I was still a schoolkid last year, just playing cricket on the weekend, it all came faster than I could have ever dreamed, you do have to pinch yourself,” Cummins was quoted as saying by the Canberra Times.
The teenager has played just two one-day and three first-class matches for NSW and is yet to take a single wicket in the shorter format. However, in the shortest format, Cummins has taken 13 wickets in eight games at an impressive average of 16.23.
Cummins hopes NSW reaches the final in the Champions League so that he flies to South Africa directly from India.
“Hopefully fingers crossed we spend a bit more time here in India and if we get to the final, I think it is straight over there to Africa,” Cummins, who is also the youngest player ever contracted to Cricket Australia.
Cummins came into the limelight last summer, bowling consistently close to 150km per hour.
– Indo-Asian News service
- Australian media bowled over by new whiz kid Cummins - Nov 22, 2011
- Fiery pacer Brett Lee retires from international cricket - Jul 13, 2012
- Australia win a thriller against South Africa - Nov 21, 2011
- After Ponting-Clarke century stand, Johnson-Cummins bowl Australia to victory - Oct 20, 2011
- Steve Rixon appointed Australia's fielding coach - Jun 28, 2011
- De Villiers to undergo surgery, out for four to six weeks - Sep 30, 2011
- Usman Khawaja considering moving to Queensland - May 01, 2012
- Australia may fall back on quicks thrashed in last Ashes - Apr 21, 2012
- World T20: Australia axe Pattinson from preliminary squad - Jul 18, 2012
- Australia prune Test series against South Africa for Twenty20 - May 05, 2011
- CA draws up three-year plan for Cummins - Jan 22, 2012
- Laxman, India's crisis man (Profile) - Aug 18, 2012
- Bollinger hopes IPL stint earns him Australia recall - Apr 10, 2012
- Offie Sunil Narine in Dwayne Bravo captained West Indies A - Nov 01, 2011
- Cummins may also miss ODI series: NSW chief - Jan 09, 2012
Tags: asian news, bs, canberra times, champions league, cricket australia, cummins, eight games, eight months, handful, indo, limelight, new south wales, news service, school kid, sensation, south africa, speedster, t20, wicket, wickets