Footballers planning fund-raiser for quake victimsSeptember 20th, 2011 - 7:52 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Sep 20 (IANS) The Football Players Association of India (FPAI) is planning to organise a football match to raise funds for Sikkim earthquake victims, its president Bhaichung Bhutia said Tuesday.
“The I-league (country’s premier football league) is about to start and the Federation Cup is on. Subject to availability of players we would be delighted to organise a fund raising (match)” said the former Indian captain here.
“Whatever (earth quake) happened is very sad and unfortunate. But things are returning to normal. Otherwise I wouldn’t have been here leaving behind my family there,” said Bhutia who flew to the city from Gangtok to attend a conference to announce the nominees for the Indian Football Awards.
Bhutia also said his club United Sikkim will do its bit to help the victims. “It is a happy news that all the players of United Sikkim are safe and we hope to do our bit to help the quake victims.”
Former India player and current East Bengal winger Alvito D’Cunha also hoped the fund raiser will be organised. “All the players including myself will be delighted to organise any such game. We all are willing to do our part to help the quake victims.”
At least 68 people have died and over 300 have been injured in the 6.8 magnitude earthquake that rocked large parts of eastern and northern India, The high-intensity quake, which was followed by two aftershocks, Sunday evening, had its epicentre on the Sikkim-Nepal border.
- Bollywood stars to grace Indian Football Awards - Sep 20, 2011
- Bhutia appeals for help to the quake-hit - Sep 21, 2011
- Kunal Kapoor raising funds for earthquake victims - Sep 30, 2011
- Army fans out for relief operations - Sep 19, 2011
- More aid to Sikkim, will visit state soon: Mamata - Sep 19, 2011
- 25 dead in earthquake: Home secretary - Sep 19, 2011
- Quake toll may rise: Home secretary (Lead) - Sep 19, 2011
- Local boy Nim Tshering Lepcha to lead United Sikkim - Jul 13, 2011
- Bhutia geared up for swansong against Bayern Munich - Jan 08, 2012
- 35 killed, hundreds injured in Sunday's quake in north, east India - Sep 19, 2011
- Mehtab best young fottballer, Betto best foreign player - Sep 27, 2011
- Bhaichung's United Sikkim to boost northeast football - Dec 24, 2010
- Mamata to seek Rs.500 crore more for quake-hit Darjeeling - Oct 11, 2011
- Teachers, students lend succour in quake-hit Sikkim - Sep 21, 2011
- Deaths, destruction as strong quake hits India, Nepal - Sep 19, 2011
Tags: aftershocks, alvito, earth quake, earthquake victims, east bengal, epicentre, federation cup, football awards, football match, football players, fund raiser, gangtok, happy news, high intensity, indian captain, indian football, magnitude earthquake, northern india, quake victims, winger