Football writers name Van Persie Player of the YearApril 25th, 2012 - 4:01 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 25 (IANS) Arsenal’s Robin van Persie was named the 2012 Footballer of the Year by England’s Football Writers’ Association, just days after he won the Professional Footballers’ Association award.
The 28-year-old Dutch striker, who has scored 27 Premiership goals for Arsenal so far this season, topped the poll of journalists with an overwhelming victory ahead of Manchester United forward Wayne Rooney and Paul Scholes, reports Xinhua.
“The quality of his goals, attacking movement and consistency in a turbulent season for the Gunners has been eye-catching,” said FWA chairman Steve Bates, chief football writer at The Sunday People.
The FWA award was instituted in 1948.
- Van Persie likely to miss friendly match - Feb 29, 2012
- Rooney named FWA Footballer of the Year - Apr 30, 2010
- Resurgent Arsenal beat Newcastle - Mar 13, 2012
- Van Persie's wonder goal takes Asrenal to top 4 - Dec 11, 2011
- Van Persie to make United debut Monday: Ferguson - Aug 16, 2012
- Juventus looking for Van Persie - May 09, 2012
- Manchester United sign Van Persie - Aug 17, 2012
- Dutch have no worries upfront, but defence vulnerable - Jun 02, 2012
- Netherlands crush Northern Ireland 6-0 - Jun 03, 2012
- Bookies favour Manchester City to win EPL - Aug 17, 2012
- Fighting Arsenal bow out of Champions League - Mar 07, 2012
- Bolts of English Premier League - Aug 07, 2012
- Buttner to follow Van Persie to Manchester United - Aug 20, 2012
- Euro 2012: Last chance to change for Dutch team - Jun 16, 2012
- Will Van Persie find scoring touch in World Cup final? - Jul 07, 2010
Tags: arsenal, consistency, football writer, football writers association, footballer of the year, fwa, gunners, journalists, manchester united, overwhelming victory, paul scholes, premiership, professional footballers association, robin van persie, steve bates, striker, sunday people, turbulent season, wayne rooney, xinhua