Food, wine exhibition opens in Delhi (Lead)December 2nd, 2008 - 9:42 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 2 (IANS) The sixth edition of IFE India-2008, a three-day food, drink and hospitality exhibition, opened here Tuesday with over 300 exhibitors from 24 countries participating.Inaugurating the event, Ashok Sinha, secretary in the ministry of food processing industries, said the exhibition offered a platform for international as well as domestic players to showcase their products.
“Products from abroad should not be seen as competition. Rather, they should strengthen the domestic market and India should ensure quality of its food processing industry and maintain standards like many other countries,” said Sinha.
Exhibitors showcased their varied range of wines and chocolates and offered them for tasting.
The Indian food industry, poised to grow to $300 billion by 2015, has tremendous potential to expand further, Sinha said.
Reliance Dairy Food Products chief executive Harsev Singh, who was present on the occasion, said dairy food products account for over 32 percent of the total food market in the country.
The gourmet foods industry in India is still picking up and there is still a long way to go, he added.
According to Sabka Bazaar managing director Salil Sahu, malls are one of the major factors that drive the growth in food industry, besides the changing lifestyle of the people.
The Indian Wine Challenge-2008 awards for the best tasting wines were also presented during the inaugural ceremony.
The exhibition has been organised by business event organiser Inter Ads Montgomery India Ltd and is part of the worldwide portfolio exhibition that includes IFE London, IFE Poland, IFE Budapest and IFE America.
- Food, hospitality exhibition opens in Delhi - Dec 02, 2008
- Wine aficionados throng Pune wine tasting festival - Dec 12, 2010
- Delhi to host Asia's largest defence exhibition - Mar 26, 2012
- Asia's largest defence exhibition kicks off Thursday - Mar 28, 2012
- After automobiles, Germany woos India with wines - Aug 08, 2012
- MFN status to India will benefit Pakistan, say its traders - Apr 12, 2012
- International food and wine expo in Mumbai next year - Jun 15, 2010
- Pakistan expo aims to reap trade benefits, goodwill - Apr 12, 2012
- Despite problems of matching, India's wine industry booming - Feb 05, 2012
- 27 countries take part in Indian travel mart - Feb 25, 2012
- Creative stone works draw huge crowds at trade fair - Feb 02, 2012
- Wine gala kicks off in the land of feni - Jan 27, 2011
- International trade fair begins Monday - Nov 13, 2011
- 100 world exhibitors at Mumbai cleanliness expo - Nov 03, 2011
- South Asia's largest machine tool expo opens in Bangalore - Jan 20, 2011