Food security, energy, terrorism key points of Saarc summitJune 17th, 2008 - 8:35 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 17 (IANS) The forthcoming Saarc summit to be hosted by Sri Lanka will address the issues of food and energy security as well as terrorism, said Sri Lankan Foreign Minister Rohitha Bogollagama. The minister was in India to extend an invitation from the Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapakse to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to the 15th Saarc Summit to be held August.
Bogollagama told reporters here Monday that he had extensive discussions on the Saarc development agenda with the Indian prime minister and External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee.
While the last summit hosted by India had “connectivity” as its theme, Sri Lanka will be going the next step by “partnerships for growth”.
With rising food prices becoming a global crisis, food security will be at the heart of the summit, with the minister indicating that the operationalisation of Saarc Food Banks may be expedited.
He said that he found the Indian prime minister “highly conscious” of food security and talked specifically about increasing productivity.
“Our president (Mahinda Rajapakse) suggested creation of a food mart. This will help to address immediate needs that may get affected and will have to be looked at the regional context,” Bogollagama told reporters.
He also mentioned that energy security would also be a key point to be discussed as well as terrorism.
He dismissed suggestions that with the Tamil Tiger’s still actively organising suicide attacks in different parts of the island, the security of the summit will be vulnerable.
Bogollagama said Sri Lanka had been hosting international events successfully without any security issues and pointed out that recently it hosted youth ministers from 52 commonwealth countries.
- 'Sri Lanka's ties with China no threat to India' - Dec 29, 2011
- India, Sri Lanka agree on JWG meeting to resolve fishermen issue - Nov 11, 2011
- Terrorism, economic cooperation issues to dominate SAARC meet in Colombo - Feb 22, 2009
- India supports Sri Lankan reconciliation, to stay engaged - Jun 29, 2012
- Manmohan, Rajapaksa to meet in Maldives, Tamil issue on agenda - Nov 09, 2011
- India convey Sri Lanka its willingness to open consulate in Jafna - Mar 08, 2010
- PM reminds Rajapaksa India's key role in Geneva - Mar 24, 2012
- Sri Lanka, India discuss travel advisory - Sep 13, 2012
- NSA to go to Colombo, voice India's concerns - Jun 25, 2012
- Hu, Rajapakse pledge to boost ties - Jun 17, 2011
- India, Sri Lanka to jointly develop fisheries - Jan 15, 2012
- PM to Sri Lanka: Use of force on fishermen not acceptable - Nov 13, 2011
- Fringe pro-LTTE groups behind Tamil Nadu violence: Sri Lankan envoy (Interview) - Sep 06, 2012
- India, Sri Lanka to hold joint naval drill in 2011 - Dec 27, 2010
- Rajapaksa cuts short Nepal visit, sends minister to Pakistan (Second Lead) - Mar 03, 2009